Conservation of energy problem

In summary, a 0.4 kg ball is thrown with a speed of 12 m/s at an angle of 33 degrees. To find the speed at its highest point and height reached, conservation of energy is used and air resistance is ignored. The speed at its highest point is 10.1 m/s and the height reached is approximately 2.2 meters. When using conservation of energy, speed is used, while conservation of momentum uses velocity.
pb23me

Homework Statement

A .4 kg ball is thrown with a speed of 12 m/s at an angle of 33 degrees. What is its speed at its highest point, and how high does it go? Use conservation of energy and ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

mgyi+1/2mvi2=mgyf+1/2mvf2

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure what velocity to use... in the x direction or y direction? And am i supposed to assume the ball is thrown from point zero? If i use the velocity in the y direction and assume its thrown from point zero... then vf=0 and yi=0 so 1/2(6.5)2=9.8(yf) ... yf=2.18m and vi=sin33(12)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi pb23me! :wink:

start with the speed at its highest point …

what is that? :smile:

ok I am a little confused about speed i guess. when you have an object that's moving simultaneously in two directions which is the speed? I am assuming your talking about the y direction in that case it would be zero. If your talking about the x direction then its 10.1 m/s

pb23me said:
… when you have an object that's moving simultaneously in two directions which is the speed? …

ah, you need to learn the definitions …

speed is the magnitude of the velocity

speed is a scalar (an ordinary number), and velocity is a vector

so a velocity might be written v = (3,4) or v = 3i + 4j,

or it might be given as a magnitude and a direction, ie v is 5 at an angle tan-1(4/3)

the speed (usually written "v", not in bold font … unfortunately, sometimes velocity is also not written in bold, which is confusing) is found by using Pythagoras on the components … v = √(32 + 42) = 5 :smile:

or in this case v = √(vx2 + vy2)

ok cool so v=[tex]\sqrt{10.1^2+0}[/tex]=10.1 m/s

so 72=9.8(yf)+1/2(10.1)2...yf=2.14m

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

yup! :biggrin:

(except i rounded off later than you did, and got 2.18, or 2.2)

awesome thanx, just one last question.. so when I am using the conservation of momentum equation, and conservation of energy equation do i always use the speed rather than the velocity?

pb23me said:
awesome thanx, just one last question.. so when I am using the conservation of momentum equation, and conservation of energy equation do i always use the speed rather than the velocity?

no …

energy is a scalar, like speed, so we use speed (1/2 mv2 etc)

momentum is a vector, like velocity, so we use velocity (mv etc), except that we can always break it down into components in a particular direction, which is what we usually do …

eg we do conservation of momentum in the x-direction using mux mvx etc, and maybe then also conservation of momentum in the y-direction using muy mvy etc :wink:

Related to Conservation of energy problem

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as when we turn on a light bulb, chemical energy from the power plant is transformed into light energy. It also applies to our own bodies, as the food we eat is converted into energy for us to use.

3. What is an example of a conservation of energy problem?

An example of a conservation of energy problem could be a rollercoaster. The potential energy at the top of the first hill is converted into kinetic energy as the rollercoaster moves down the track. However, due to friction and air resistance, some of this energy is lost and the rollercoaster eventually comes to a stop.

4. How is the conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This is directly related to the law of conservation of energy, as they both involve the idea that energy is constant and can only change form.

5. What happens when there is a violation of the conservation of energy principle?

If there is a violation of the conservation of energy principle, it means that energy has been created or destroyed, which goes against the fundamental laws of physics. This violation could be due to errors in measurements or calculations, or a misunderstanding of the system being studied.