Conservation of energy of two thrown stones

In summary, two stones are thrown from a building at the same time with the same initial speed, one at a 30-degree angle and the other horizontally. Neglecting air resistance, the stones will hit the ground at different times with equal speeds. This is due to energy conservation and the fact that one stone has a longer arc-distance to travel.
nns91

Homework Statement

Two stones are thrown with the same initial speed at the same instant from the roof of a building. One stone is thrown at an angle of 30 degree above the horizontal; the other is thrown horizontally.(Neglect air resistance.), which of the following is true:

(a)The stones strike the ground at the same time and with equal speeds.
(b)The stones strike the ground at the same time with different speeds.
(c)The stones strike the ground at different times with equal speeds.
(d)The stones strike the ground at different times with different speeds.

Homework Equations

E=U+K

The Attempt at a Solution

So I guess the answer is c but I can't explain it. Can anyone help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is C, by reasoning. I didn't do any math, and I haven't taken intro-physics yet, but my reasoning is this:

The speed will stay constant, unless altered by another force, which neglecting air resitance, speed is constant.

So when the rock hits the ground, it will be a the same speed as the other rock. So now it can only be A, or C

However, the rocks have a longer arc-distance to travel, and since one rock won't speed up, the rock that is traveling 30 degrees will hit the ground first, followed by the second rock that was thrown horizantal.

So, we know that the rocks can't hit the ground at the same time, if they are traveling at the same speed,

C.

Hayley

Energy is conserved since we are ignoring friction.They also start off with the same amount of kinetic and potential energy. Since they both come to rest at ground level then their potential energies are equal at the end. Their kinetic energies at the end are equal so their velocities are equal (since masses didn't change or anything like that).

Energy conservation is a clean way to look at this, but I don't know if you are familiar with this yet though so let me know if what I said was just confusing.

I get it. How about the part of different time ?

one stone starts off going against gravity (has some velocity going up), it takes some time for the gravitational force to overcome this upward momentum and make the rock start to fall, while the other rock can doesn't have an upward velocity and can start falling vertically right away.

Beyond this explanation we'd have to use calculus and some equations, which I believe were invented because it gets way to hard and ambiguous to describe the stuff in English.

Related to Conservation of energy of two thrown stones

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to two thrown stones?

In the case of two thrown stones, the conservation of energy means that the total energy of the system (the two stones) remains constant throughout their motion. This means that as the stones are thrown, their potential energy (due to their position above the ground) is converted into kinetic energy (due to their motion) and back again as they fall to the ground.

3. Is the conservation of energy always true for two thrown stones?

Yes, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all systems, including two thrown stones. However, in real-world situations, there may be external factors such as air resistance or friction that can cause some energy to be lost or converted into other forms.

4. What factors can affect the conservation of energy in two thrown stones?

The conservation of energy in two thrown stones can be affected by factors such as the initial height and velocity of the stones, the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction, and the type of surface the stones are thrown on. These factors can influence the amount of potential and kinetic energy present in the system at any given time.

5. Why is the conservation of energy important to understand in the context of two thrown stones?

Understanding the conservation of energy in the context of two thrown stones allows us to accurately predict the motion and behavior of the stones. It also helps us to understand the underlying principles of energy and how it is transferred and converted in different situations. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.