Conservation of energy of a toboggan problem

In summary, a loaded 305kg toboggan traveling at 4.60m/s on smooth snow experiences a decrease in speed of 1.10m/s over a distance of 9.00m due to a rough region. To find the average friction force exerted on the toboggan, the initial and final conditions of kinetic energy can be used. The average deceleration can also be found using the initial and final velocities and the distance traveled. In this case, the average deceleration was found to be -0.12m/s^2. The formula v_f^2=v_i^2+2ax can be used to calculate acceleration when given distance, initial and final velocities.
Todd88

Homework Statement

A loaded 305kg toboggan is traveling on smooth horizontal snow at 4.60m/s when it suddenly comes to a rough region. The region is 9.00m long and reduces the toboggan's speed by 1.10m/s.

Homework Equations

What average friction force did the rough region exert on the toboggan?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you can find the initial conditions of the kinetic energy and then the final conditions given the final velocity. I just don't know how to get the force of the rough region. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much average deceleration of the toboggan was there? You have the initial v, final v and the distance it decelerated by.

-.12m/s

Is that negative velocity? Check your units. Also in the case that is acceleration, then where is the problem of finding the average force of friction? [tex]\bar F_f=m \bar a[/tex] where a is the average deceleration experienced.

It would be simple but am I correct in saying the average acceleration (deceleration in this case) is -.12m/s^2? Because when I do -.12*305 it is not correct. The friction force would be -37.3N which is incorrect.

The correct formula to find acceleration with a distance, and 2 velocities is [tex]v^2_f=v^2_i+2ax[/tex] x=distance, a=acceleration

Ah of course. I knew that. Thanks!

Related to Conservation of energy of a toboggan problem

1. What is the conservation of energy principle in a toboggan problem?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In a toboggan problem, this means that the total amount of energy at the start of the ride (potential energy due to its height and kinetic energy due to its speed) will remain constant throughout the ride, even as the energy is transferred between potential and kinetic forms.

2. How does friction affect the conservation of energy in a toboggan problem?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can cause energy to be converted into heat. In a toboggan problem, friction can decrease the total amount of energy by converting some of the kinetic energy into heat. This means that the toboggan will slow down and lose some of its potential and kinetic energy as it slides down the hill.

3. Why is the conservation of energy important in a toboggan problem?

The conservation of energy is important in a toboggan problem because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of the toboggan as it slides down the hill. By knowing that the total amount of energy remains constant, we can calculate the speed and position of the toboggan at any point during the ride.

4. Are there any real-life situations where the conservation of energy principle would not apply in a toboggan problem?

In real-life situations, there may be some external factors that could affect the conservation of energy in a toboggan problem. For example, if there is a strong headwind or tailwind, this could add or subtract energy from the toboggan, causing the total energy to not remain constant. Additionally, if the toboggan encounters a bump or obstacle on the hill, some of the energy may be converted into other forms, such as sound or heat.

5. How can the conservation of energy principle be applied to improve the design of toboggans?

Understanding the conservation of energy principle can help in designing toboggans that are more efficient and faster. By reducing friction and minimizing energy loss due to external factors, toboggans can be designed to maintain their energy and speed throughout the ride. This can be achieved through smoother and more aerodynamic shapes, as well as using materials that reduce friction, such as lubricants or low-friction coatings.