Conservation of Energy of a bear question

In summary, the bear slides from rest with a speed of 5.9 m/s just before hitting the ground, and experiences a change in its gravitational potential energy of 1646.4 joules. Its kinetic energy is Ek=1/2mv^2 just before hitting the ground. The average frictional force acting on the bear is F=ma.
brittkub1291
A 28 kg bear slides, from rest, 6 m down a lodgepole pine tree, moving with a speed of 5.9 m/s just before hitting the ground.

(a) What change occurs in the gravitational potential energy of the bear-Earth system during the slide?
(b) What is the kinetic energy of the bear just before hitting the ground?
(c) What is the average frictional force that acts on the bear?

To start off with i set up an energy bar chart and i know that it begins with gravitational energy and ends with kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is Ek=1/2mv^2 so that's the answer for b. I'm not sure how to find the frictional force on the bear though, and i think i need that before i can figure out the change in the gravitational energy. I think that the frictional force would equal the product of the kinetic friction coefficient and the normal force. But i keep coming up with the wrong answers so I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
brittkub1291 said:
A 28 kg bear slides, from rest, 6 m down a lodgepole pine tree, moving with a speed of 5.9 m/s just before hitting the ground.

(a) What change occurs in the gravitational potential energy of the bear-Earth system during the slide?
(b) What is the kinetic energy of the bear just before hitting the ground?
(c) What is the average frictional force that acts on the bear?

To start off with i set up an energy bar chart and i know that it begins with gravitational energy and ends with kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is Ek=1/2mv^2 so that's the answer for b. I'm not sure how to find the frictional force on the bear though, and i think i need that before i can figure out the change in the gravitational energy.
No, the change in the gravitational Potential Energy is its PE at the bottom of the slide minus its PE at the top of the slide. In calculating PE, you can use any convenient reference point.
I think that the frictional force would equal the product of the kinetic friction coefficient and the normal force. But i keep coming up with the wrong answers so I'm not sure.
Yes, but neither is given. Instead, either use Newton 2 or conservation of total energy.

Okay well i would have to use F=ma to find the frictional force right? I'm getting confused because i don't know the acceleration, should i just assume constant?

Okay, I'm thinking maybe i should just scratch using N2L, what if i just use the equation for gravitational energy, so Eg=(28kg)(9.8m/s)(6m) which gives me 1646.4. Then to find the change i would subtract the kinetic energy of the bear at the bottom of the slide to give me the change in gravitational energy?

Okay, lol that was it. I think the main problem was i was thinking that this tree was like at an incline, like he was sliding down it like a slide. Yeah i deffinately overthought this one.

Related to Conservation of Energy of a bear question

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to bears?

Bears, like all living organisms, require energy to survive. They obtain this energy through the food they eat, which is then converted into various forms to power their bodily functions. Conservation of energy applies to bears in that they must constantly balance the energy they consume with the energy they expend in order to maintain their survival.

3. How do bears conserve energy?

Bears conserve energy in several ways. They have adapted to hibernate during the winter months, reducing their energy expenditure during a time when food is scarce. They also have a slow metabolism and can go long periods without food. Additionally, bears are opportunistic hunters and will conserve energy by conserving energy by waiting for the right moment to catch their prey.

4. What are the consequences of a bear not conserving energy?

If a bear does not conserve energy, it may not have enough energy to survive. This can lead to starvation, decreased reproductive success, and overall decreased fitness. In extreme cases, a bear may even die due to lack of energy.

5. How is conservation of energy important for the overall ecosystem?

Conservation of energy is important for the overall ecosystem as it helps to maintain a balance in energy flow. If one species, such as bears, were to use up too much energy, it could have a ripple effect on other species that rely on them for food. Additionally, conservation of energy ensures that energy is not wasted, which is crucial for the sustainability of the ecosystem.