Conservation of energy of a basketball

In summary: Assume the work done by friction on the basketball is the same when the ball moves up or down the ramp". The work done by what friction? All friction? Static friction? Kinetic friction? The work done by static friction is not the same. The work done by kinetic friction is the same but it is negligible.In summary, the problem involves a child rolling a 0.600-kg basketball up a ramp and releasing it at the bottom with a speed of 8.0 m/s. The ball returns to the child at a speed of 4.0 m/s and the goal is to find the maximum vertical height increase of the ball as it rolls up the ramp. The conservation
Amar.alchemy

Homework Statement

A child rolls a 0.600-kg basketball up a long ramp. The basketball can be considered a thin-walled, hollow sphere. When the child releases the basketball at the bottom of the ramp. it has a speed of 8.0 m/s. When the ball returns to her after rolling up the
ramp and then rolling back down, it has a speed of 4.0 m/s. Assume the work done by friction on the basketball is the same when the ball moves up or down the ramp and that the basketball rolls without slipping. Find the maximum vertical height increase
of the ball as it rolls up the ramp.

Homework Equations

K1 + U1 + Wf = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

1)(If i consider the work done static friction force is zero)
From base of the hill to the uphill:
K1= 5/6 MV2, U1=0
k2=0, U2=Mgh and Wf=0

Then 32 = Mgh
h=5.4m...

2)If work done by static friction force is considered then,
From base of the hill to the uphill:
K1= 5/6 MV2, U1=0
k2=0, U2=Mgh and Wf

32+wf = mgh ... 1

from uphill to base of the hill:
Mgh + wf = 8...2

If i solve the equations 1 and 2 then i will get h =3.4m as given in the textbook.

My doubt is, The ball is rolling both up and down the hill due to static friction force. So the workdone by a static friction force is zero. Is this correct??Kindly explain me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy is not an equation. Please write down an equation expressing conservation of energy.

@Kuruman
updated :)

Let me make sure I understand exactly what is going on. The child gives the ball a psh up the incline with an initial velocity 8 m/s. When the ball returns to her, it has velocity 4 m/s going down the incline. Is that correct?

ya... and also in both ways(ie up and down) ball is rolling without slipping...

The answer 3.4 m is correct. The loss of energy that you used to calculate this height is not the work done by static friction as the ball rolls. It is energy lost to dissipative forces such as air-resistance and the like. The statement of the problem is somewhat confusing.

Related to Conservation of energy of a basketball

1. What is conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In the case of a basketball, energy is transferred between different forms, such as potential energy and kinetic energy.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to a basketball?

When a basketball is at rest, it has potential energy due to its position off the ground. As it is released and drops to the ground, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. When the ball bounces back up, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy, and this process continues until the ball comes to a complete stop.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy of a basketball?

The conservation of energy of a basketball is affected by factors such as the initial height from which the ball is dropped, the mass of the ball, the surface on which it bounces, and the amount of air resistance present. These factors can impact the amount of energy that is transferred and the height of the ball's bounces.

4. Can energy be lost during the bouncing of a basketball?

In theory, no energy is lost during the bouncing of a basketball. However, in reality, some energy may be lost due to factors such as air resistance and friction. This means that the height of the ball's bounces will decrease with each bounce, eventually coming to a complete stop due to the dissipation of energy.

5. How does the conservation of energy of a basketball relate to other laws of physics?

The conservation of energy is one of the fundamental laws of physics, and it is closely related to other laws such as the law of gravity and the laws of motion. These laws work together to determine the movement and behavior of a bouncing basketball, as well as all other objects in the universe.