Conservation of Energy in Friedman Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the first law of thermodynamics to the expansion of the universe, specifically in relation to the Friedman Equations. It is noted that when P = 0, energy density decreases due to dilution, but when P != 0, energy is also used to "push" matter outside the region. The question is raised about the conservation of energy in this scenario, and the potential role of a cosmological constant is discussed. It is suggested that this may be a local energy conservation problem.
paultsui
The first law of thermodynamics states that [tex]dU = -PdV + dQ[/tex]
We can apply this to the expansion of the universe by assuming the expansion of space is a adiabatic process, i.e. [itex]dQ = 0[/itex]. Together with the FW metric, we end up with one of the Friedman Equations: [tex]\dot{\rho} = -\frac{3\dot{a}}{a}(p + P/c^{2})[/tex]

Now let's focus on a cubic region of space. In the case P=0, this means that [itex]\dot{\rho} = -\frac{3\dot{a}}{a}(p)[/itex]. This makes sense because this accounts for the fact that when the universe expands, the energy density within get diluted. However, when P != 0, we also have the term [itex]-\frac{3\dot{a}}{a}(P/c^{2})[/itex]. This terms correspond to the [itex]-pdV[/itex] term in the thermodynamics equation. In other words, the energy in the region decreases not just because of dilution, but also because part of the energy is used to "push" the matter outside the region.

My question is, where has the energy that used to "push" the matter outside the region gone? Obviously energy has to be conserved. So the lost energy must have gone to somewhere.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can this be fixed by including a cosmological constant ?

If not, it looks like a case of lack of global energy conservation in GR.

What do you mean by including a cosmological constant?
This equation can be obtained by eliminating the cosmological constant from the other two Friedman Equations. So I guess cosmological constant is irrelavant here.

I think this is a local energy conservation problem - we are considering a "small" region in space, where energy flow out of the region to its neighbour.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

paultsui said:
What do you mean by including a cosmological constant?
This equation can be obtained by eliminating the cosmological constant from the other two Friedman Equations. So I guess cosmological constant is irrelavant here.
OK.

I think this is a local energy conservation problem - we are considering a "small" region in space, where energy flow out of the region to its neighbour.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Locally the energy has gone to some neighbours. I guess the divergence of the flow is zero so it must be escaping at the boundary.

paultsui said:
Obviously energy has to be conserved.
Unfortunately energy as an integral over a 3-volume cannot even be defined in an expanding universe.

Related to Conservation of Energy in Friedman Equation

1. What is the Friedman Equation and why is it important in conservation of energy?

The Friedman Equation is a mathematical equation developed by physicist Alexander Friedman that describes the dynamics of the expanding universe. It is important in conservation of energy because it relates the energy density of the universe to its expansion rate, providing insight into the conservation of energy on a cosmic scale.

2. How does the Friedman Equation relate to the conservation of energy principle?

The Friedman Equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transformed from one form to another. The equation shows that the total energy of the universe remains constant as it expands, supporting the conservation of energy principle.

3. What role does dark energy play in the Friedman Equation and conservation of energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. In the Friedman Equation, dark energy is represented as a term that accounts for the energy density of the vacuum. Its inclusion in the equation helps to explain the conservation of energy in the universe.

4. How does the Friedman Equation impact our understanding of conservation of energy in the universe?

The Friedman Equation provides a mathematical framework for understanding the conservation of energy on a cosmic scale. It helps to explain the behavior of energy in the expanding universe and supports the idea that energy is a fundamental, unchanging aspect of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to the application of the Friedman Equation in conservation of energy?

While the Friedman Equation is a powerful tool for understanding the conservation of energy in the universe, it does have limitations. It assumes a homogeneous and isotropic universe, meaning that the energy density and expansion rate are the same in all directions. This may not accurately reflect the complexities of the universe and could impact the accuracy of the equation's predictions.