Conservation of Energy in a Rigid Body

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the speed of the center of mass of a falling stick needs to be determined. The solution given in the text is mostly understood, but there is confusion about the initial assumptions and how the concept of work applies to a rigid body. The conversation also questions whether the net force should be considered and what displacement should be used for integration.
merovingian12

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble understanding "conceptually" the following problem (example 6.18 in Kleppner and Kolenkow.) A stick, initially upright, starts falling: find the speed of the center of mass as a function of position.

Homework Equations

Work-KE thm. for a rigid body (independent translational and rotational components)
KE for a rigid body (trans. and rot. components)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution given in the text mostly makes sense to me, except I am a bit confused about how the initial assumptions can be justified. First of all, earlier, the text showed that the change in translational KE equals the integral of force over the displacement of the center of mass. When doing this integral, shouldn't we look at the NET force on the stick? (The text only looks at the weight and ignores the normal force pushing upward on the stick from the surface, i.e. the only work comes from gravity.) Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how the idea of work is extended to a rigid body. Specifically, what is the displacement that a given force should be integrated over? Different parts of a rigid body may have different displacements, so what should one look at? The point of contact where the force is applied?

Physics news on Phys.org
merovingian12 said:
When doing this integral, shouldn't we look at the NET force on the stick?
The force from the ground is not moving the stick (the point of application is not yielding to the force), so it does no work.
Specifically, what is the displacement that a given force should be integrated over?
The (vectorial) displacement of the point of contact. For gravity, that should in principle be every point of the body, but for a rigid body that turns out to be the same as treating all the mass as being concentrated at the mass centre.

Related to Conservation of Energy in a Rigid Body

1. What is conservation of energy in a rigid body?

Conservation of energy in a rigid body is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total energy of a system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.

2. How is energy conserved in a rigid body?

In a rigid body, energy is conserved through various processes such as potential energy being converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of mechanical energy.

3. What is meant by a rigid body?

A rigid body is an idealized physical body that is assumed to have a fixed shape and size, with no deformation or change in its structure when subjected to external forces.

4. Can the conservation of energy principle be applied to all rigid bodies?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle can be applied to all rigid bodies as long as there is no loss of energy due to friction, air resistance, or other external factors. In an ideal scenario, energy is conserved in all rigid body systems.

5. How is the principle of conservation of energy useful in real-life applications?

The principle of conservation of energy is useful in various real-life applications such as designing machines and structures, understanding the motion of objects, and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It is also crucial in the development of sustainable energy sources and in the study of environmental conservation.