Conservation of energy - elastic potential energy and k.e.

In summary, the conversation discusses using the principle of conservation of energy to solve a question, but the provided solution does not include the E.P.E of the string after collision, which may have been misunderstood by the person asking the question. They also mention that the solution and problem statement have different formatting.
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement
image.jpg

For part (iii) , I used the principle of conservation of energy,
K.E of the 2 kg particle after collision + E.P.E = K.E of the 2 kg particle at the furthest distance away from A + E.PE,

But the solution for this question did not include the E.P.E of the string after collision (in bold), why? Shouldn't there still be tension in the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
1. Homework Statement
View attachment 97599
For part (iii) , I used the principle of conservation of energy,
K.E of the 2 kg particle after collision + E.P.E = K.E of the 2 kg particle at the furthest distance away from A + E.PE,

But the solution for this question did not include the E.P.E of the string after collision (in bold), why? Shouldn't there still be tension in the string?
Based on the information you have provided, I would agree with you. But this leaves the possibility that you have misunderstood something in the solution provided and therefore not portrayed it accurately.
As a way of checking, what answer did you get and what answer does the book get?

haruspex said:
Based on the information you have provided, I would agree with you. But this leaves the possibility that you have misunderstood something in the solution provided and therefore not portrayed it accurately.
As a way of checking, what answer did you get and what answer does the book get?
image.jpg

I did this :
1/2 (2)(0)2 +1/2 (72) (x)2 = 1/2 (2) (4)2 + 1/2 (72)(1)2

Janiceleong26 said:
I did this :
1/2 (2)(0)2 +1/2 (72) (x)2 = 1/2 (2) (4)2 + 1/2 (72)(1)2
I agree with your equation.
I note that the wrong solution is monospaced type, as from an old typewriter, whereas the problem statement is a page from a book.

Yeah it is
Thanks for your help !

Related to Conservation of energy - elastic potential energy and k.e.

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is stored in the form of potential energy and is released when the object returns to its original shape.

3. What is the formula for calculating elastic potential energy?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

4. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass and square of the velocity of the object. The SI unit for kinetic energy is joules (J).

5. How does conservation of energy apply to elastic potential energy and kinetic energy?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy in a system must remain constant. This means that when an object releases elastic potential energy, it must be converted into an equal amount of kinetic energy. Similarly, when an object loses kinetic energy, it must be converted into an equal amount of elastic potential energy.