Conservation of energy during compression?

In summary: PlanoIn summary, when air is compressed, it is doing a couple of things: 1. Squeezing a mass rate of air from one pressure to another - which takes work 2. Imparting heat to the gas stream - again part of doing the work.
Mike_In_Plano
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding what goes on in air compressors.

When air is compressed, I understand that we're doing a couple of things:
1. Squeezing a mass rate of air from one pressure to another - which takes work
2. Imparting heat to the gas stream - again part of doing the work.

My question is, what equations would you use to determine how much of the work went towards elevating the pressure and how much was expended as waste heat when compressing air and then cooling it back to its original temperature?

Thanks,

Mike in Plano

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an entire branch of physics.
Thermodynamics.

So, I'm guessing that the best way to approach this problem is to determine the work done when performing the adiabatic compression and subtract the energy lost during the isobaric cooling?

This is a problem that can be solved best with a basic energy balance on an open system(your compressor).

rate of energy out - rate of energy in = W + Q
[tex]\dot{m}[/tex]([tex]\Delta[/tex]H +[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]u^{2}[/tex]/2+g[tex]\Delta[/tex]h)= W+Q

W=work rate(power)
Q=heat
H=enthalpy at some T&P
u=average fluid velocity(could be turbulent could be laminar)
h=height
[tex]\dot{m}[/tex]=mass flowrate

if your compressor is adiabatic Q=0
more than likely the potential and kinetic terms are negligible

to get a strong estimate of the work rate of the compressor:
W = [tex]\dot{m}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]H

Wow,

Thanks Hydrogen.

So, I just need to get an idea of my mass flow rate from the CFM at STP and gas density. Then, I can pull get the enthalpy for the start and end conditions from my gas tables. Use the delta for my enthalpy to compute the rate of work done from one end to the other.

As for the efficiency of the system, I'm thinking the overall work done is the resulting differential energy (from the delta-h)m divided by the work done during the adiabatic compression?

(delta H)/(delta H)s= the efficiency where subscript s means the delta H for the isoentropic process this is a definition of efficiency.

Thanks Hydrogen,

Your a champ :)

- Mike

Related to Conservation of energy during compression?

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy during compression?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant during compression.

2. How does energy conservation apply to compression in physics?

In physics, energy conservation applies to compression in the sense that the total amount of energy in a system of particles remains constant as the particles are compressed. This means that the initial energy of the system must equal the final energy after compression.

3. What factors influence the conservation of energy during compression?

The conservation of energy during compression is influenced by factors such as the type of material being compressed, the amount of force applied, and the speed at which the compression occurs. These factors can affect the amount of energy that is converted from one form to another during compression.

4. How does the law of thermodynamics relate to the conservation of energy during compression?

The law of thermodynamics, specifically the first law, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This is directly related to the conservation of energy during compression, as the total energy in a system must remain constant according to this law.

5. What is the practical application of understanding conservation of energy during compression?

Understanding the conservation of energy during compression has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, construction, and material science. It allows us to predict and control the amount of energy required for compression, and to design structures and materials that can withstand the forces of compression without losing too much energy.