Conservation of Energy block on a track

In summary, a block of mass M slides around a curved track without friction. The normal force on the block at B is 5mg, which points vertically downward.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

In the figure, a block of mass M slides without friction around the curved track. (a) If the block starts from rest at A, what is its speed at B? (b) What is the force of the track (the normal force) on the block at B?
See Figure 1

Homework Equations

Uf + Kf = Ui + Ki

The Attempt at a Solution

for a, I was just wondering if this seemed right:
mghf + 1/2mvf2 = mghi + 1/2mvi2
mg(R) + 1/2mvf2 = mg(4R)
1/2mvf2 = mg(4 R) - mg(R)
vf2 = 2g(4R) - 2g(R)
vf = sqr. root [ 2g(3R) ]

I'm not sure about b. I think the normal force might be zero, but then I think that would mean the block would fall off the track.

Fnet,x : N = ma
a = 0 in the x direction, so
N = 0

Attachments

• Figure 1.jpg
    Figure 1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
The block moves along a circle with speed v=sqrt(6gR) at the moment. How much is the centripetal force? What is its direction? What exerts this force on the block?

ehild

The magnitude of the net centripetal force is
F = m * (v2/R)

the centripetal force always points towards the center of the circle, as the normal force does in this case. However, since we are discussing the net centripetal force, I can't simply say the net centripetal force is equal to the normal force, can I?

I think it would be like:
Fn + Fg = net centripetal force
Fn = net centripetal force - Fg
Fn = 6mg - mg
Fn = 5mg

or should I not include Fg?

The centripetal force is mv2/R, is not it? And it is horizontal at B.
The force mg points vertically downward, it has no horizontal component. The force is a vector quantity. The components add up, not the magnitudes. So gravity does not contribute to the centripetal force at B. It does contribute at other points of the track, where the centripetal force has nonzero vertical component. At points B it is only the track that provides the centripetal force. Gravity accelerates the block along the track.

ehild

Your solution for part (a) looks correct. To find the speed at point B, you used the conservation of energy equation, which states that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies at any point must equal the sum of the kinetic and potential energies at any other point. In this case, we used the starting point A and the ending point B.

As for part (b), you are correct in thinking that the normal force might be zero. In this case, the normal force is the force that the track exerts on the block to keep it moving in a circular path. At point B, the block is moving in a straight line, so there is no need for a normal force.

However, this does not mean that the block will fall off the track. The block will continue to move in a straight line with its current velocity, as determined in part (a). The track does not need to exert a force on the block to keep it moving in a straight line, as there is no acceleration in the x-direction. This is known as Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, there is no external force acting on the block in the x-direction, so it will continue to move in a straight line.

In conclusion, your solutions for both parts (a) and (b) are correct. Keep in mind that the normal force is only necessary when there is acceleration in the x-direction, such as when the block is moving around the curved track.

Related to Conservation of Energy block on a track

What is the concept of Conservation of Energy?

Conservation of Energy is the principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

How does a block on a track demonstrate Conservation of Energy?

A block on a track is a classic example of demonstrating Conservation of Energy. As the block moves down the track, its potential energy (due to its position and height) is converted into kinetic energy (due to its motion). At the bottom of the track, all the potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy. As the block moves up the other side of the track, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy. This cycle continues, showing the conservation of energy.

What factors affect the conservation of energy in a block on a track?

The conservation of energy in a block on a track is affected by various factors such as the height and mass of the block, the angle of the track, and the presence of any external forces like friction. These factors determine the potential energy and kinetic energy of the block and how they are converted and transferred throughout the system.

Is Conservation of Energy applicable to real-world scenarios?

Yes, Conservation of Energy is applicable to real-world scenarios. It is a fundamental law of physics and is used to explain and predict the behavior of various systems, such as roller coasters, pendulums, and car engines. In fact, it is crucial in understanding and developing sustainable energy sources.

How is Conservation of Energy related to other principles in physics?

Conservation of Energy is closely related to other principles in physics, such as the Law of Conservation of Momentum and the Law of Conservation of Mass. These laws, together with Conservation of Energy, form the basis of the study of dynamics and thermodynamics in physics. They all aim to explain the behavior of energy and matter in different systems.