Conservation of Energy ball of mass

In summary: So, in summary, the change in kinetic energy is 1/2 m*vf^2, the change in potential energy is -m*g*(hf - hi), and the net external work is zero. This can be represented by the equation ΔK + ΔP = 0. To solve for the final speed of the ball, we can use the equation 1/2 m*vf^2 -m*g*(hf - hi) = 0, which simplifies to vf = √(2*g*(hf - hi)). This formula is commonly used in problems involving falling objects near the Earth's surface.
KatlynEdwards

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m falls from height hi to height hf near the surface of the Earth. When the ball passes hf it has speed vf. Ignore air resistance, and assume that any changes in kinetic energy of the Earth are negligible. Also, the starting velocity of the ball is zero.

Write an expression for each of the following quantities in terms of the given variables and any physical constants. If any of these are zero, state so explicitly.

1. The change in the kinetic energy of the system (the ball and the earth).
2. The change in potential energy of the system.
3. The net external work by external forces on the system
4. Now write an equation that relates the expressions above and use it to solve for the final speed of the ball.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 m*v^2
PE = -m*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So the change in kinetic energy of the system is 1/2 m v^2
2. the change in potential energy is -m*g*h
3. The net external work is zero, because all the changes are internal
4. So I would say 1/2 m*v^2 -m*g*h = 0 which is the total net external work.

Solving for v I get the square root of (2*g*h)...
Although I don't recognize this formula.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good.

Don't worry, you'll see [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex] a lot when dealing with those kinds of questions.

KatlynEdwards said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m falls from height hi to height hf near the surface of the Earth. When the ball passes hf it has speed vf. Ignore air resistance, and assume that any changes in kinetic energy of the Earth are negligible. Also, the starting velocity of the ball is zero.

Write an expression for each of the following quantities in terms of the given variables and any physical constants. If any of these are zero, state so explicitly.

1. The change in the kinetic energy of the system (the ball and the earth).
2. The change in potential energy of the system.
3. The net external work by external forces on the system
4. Now write an equation that relates the expressions above and use it to solve for the final speed of the ball.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 m*v^2
PE = -m*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So the change in kinetic energy of the system is 1/2 m v^2
2. the change in potential energy is -m*g*h
3. The net external work is zero, because all the changes are internal
4. So I would say 1/2 m*v^2 -m*g*h = 0 which is the total net external work.

Solving for v I get the square root of (2*g*h)...
Although I don't recognize this formula.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?
Thanks!
1 & 2
I disagree with your answers, because they are asking for the change in the kinetic and potential energy. You simply give the formulas for the kinetic and potential energies, which is different.

So...

1. What is the initial kinetic energy? And what is the final kinetic energy? Use that to get the change in kinetic energy.

2. What is the initial potential energy? And what is the final kinetic energy? Use that to get the change in kinetic energy.

3. I agree, the external work is zero.

Well if they want the change in potential and kinetic energy of the system, I would have to say zero because of the fact that there is no external work.
So would I say:
ΔK + ΔP = External Work
0 + 0 = 0 ?if the system was just the ball, instead of the ball and the earth, my first two answers would be correct, and then the external work would not be equal to zero. Right?

Not quite.

ΔK + ΔP = 0, but that does not mean that ΔK=0 and ΔP=0.

Think about it: given that the height changed from hi to hf, what is ΔP?

Well, ΔP = m*g*Δh
= m*g*(hf - hi

ΔK = 1/2 m*v^2
= 1/2 m*vf^2

So basically ΔP and ΔK are opposites?

Looks good! And yes, ΔP = -ΔK, when total energy is conserved (no external forces).

Related to Conservation of Energy ball of mass

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a ball of mass?

In the case of a ball of mass, the conservation of energy means that the total energy of the ball (kinetic and potential) will remain constant as long as there is no external force acting on it. This means that the ball will not spontaneously gain or lose energy.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a ball of mass?

The conservation of energy in a ball of mass is affected by factors such as the mass of the ball, its velocity, and the height of its position. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the conservation of energy.

4. How can the conservation of energy be demonstrated with a ball of mass?

One way to demonstrate the conservation of energy with a ball of mass is to roll the ball down a ramp and measure its potential and kinetic energy at different points along the ramp. The total energy should remain constant, showing that energy is conserved.

5. Why is the conservation of energy important in the study of physics?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of energy in the universe. It allows scientists to make predictions and explain the behavior of physical systems, including the motion of objects like a ball of mass.