Conservation of Buoyancy: Explained & Applied

In summary, the conversation is about the conservation of buoyancy and how it is related to the conservation of energy. The speaker is looking for information on how to start from the conservation of energy and find the conservation of buoyancy, as well as any corresponding mathematical steps. They also mention their interest in the entrainment coefficient and how it is affected by background rotation. They thank the other person for providing a document related to the topic and express interest in asking more questions about a presentation they were given.
Wall
Hi, all and thanks for your time.

I did read that the conservation of Buoyancy is an "alternative" conservation of energy under some hypothesis.

Can someone explain how do I start from the conservation of energy and find the conservation of buoyancy? Are there some corresponding mathematical passages?

Sorry for my bad English and thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.ifh.uni-karlsruhe.de/lehre/envflu_III/Downloads/models/IntegralPlumeModel/EFMIII-IntegralPlumeModel.pdf

Likes Wall and vanhees71
Thank you SO much! Do you have other documents about this problem? I'm working on plumes and trying to understand the dependence of the entrainment coefficient from the background rotation (but I'm a poor student). I did another post about entrainment.

I'm also trying to understand how to define mathematically the entrainment coefficient.

Thanks a lot!

Also, can I ask you some questions about that presentation you linked to me? thanks a lot!

Related to Conservation of Buoyancy: Explained & Applied

1. What is buoyancy and why is it important in conservation?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. It is important in conservation because it helps to explain why certain objects float or sink in a fluid, and it is a key factor in understanding the stability of aquatic ecosystems.

2. How is buoyancy conserved in fluids?

Buoyancy is conserved in fluids by Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This means that an object will float if it is less dense than the fluid it is placed in, and it will sink if it is more dense.

3. Can buoyancy be applied to air as well as water?

Yes, buoyancy can be applied to both air and water. In air, buoyancy is known as lift and is often used in the design of aircrafts and hot air balloons. The principles of buoyancy are the same for both air and water, but the density and viscosity of the fluid may vary.

4. How does buoyancy play a role in the conservation of marine life?

Buoyancy plays a crucial role in the conservation of marine life. It helps organisms maintain their position in the water column, allows them to regulate their depth, and helps them conserve energy while swimming. Buoyancy also affects the distribution and movement of nutrients and oxygen in the ocean, which are essential for the survival of marine organisms.

5. How does understanding buoyancy help with the conservation of ships and other marine structures?

Understanding buoyancy is essential for the conservation of ships and other marine structures. By understanding how buoyancy works, engineers can design ships and structures that are stable and can withstand the forces of waves and currents. Additionally, understanding buoyancy can help with the development of more efficient and environmentally friendly marine transportation methods.