Conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the problem involves a system of 4 masses connected to a cross on a smooth surface. The system is initially spinning at a constant radial velocity of ω0 rad/sec, with each mass located at a distance of L from the center of the cross. When mass m4 disconnects from the cross, the radial velocity of the system is calculated using conservation of momentum as v2=Mω0L/(M+2m). To find the angular velocity, conservation of energy must be used, taking into account the tangential velocity of all masses and the straight path of mass m4.
phyyy

Homework Statement

There's a system of 4 masses, all connected to a cross which has a negligible mass, and which is positioned on a smooth surface. The distance of each mass from the center of the cross is L and the cross spins around its center in a constant radial velocity of ω0 rad/sec:
dPcyf.gif

Now mass m4 disconnects from the cross.

What is the the radial velocity of the system after m4 disconnected, considering m1=m3 and m2=m4=M?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
Ʃmivi=0

Conservation of angular momentum:
Ʃmiviri=ωI

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated using conservation of momentum that the linear velocity of the system after m4 disconnected was v2=Mω0L/(M+2m)

Now I think I should use the law of conservation of angular momentum but I'm not sure how. I think that the center of mass is L/2 to the right from the center of the cross so the distance of m1 and m3 from the center of mass is √((0.5L)2+L2). What should I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations

Moment of Inertia =?
Angular Momentum=?

azizlwl said:
Relevant equations

Moment of Inertia =?
Angular Momentum=?

I know that the moment of inertia is I=Ʃmiri2 and the angular momentum L can be expressed as ωI, so I tried:

L=Ʃmiviri=ωI = ω(Ʃmiri2) and I can get the value of ω this way, but I'm not sure what the the distance from each mass to the center of mass is. I mean, what are the values of ri in this sum: Ʃmiri2 ?

phyyy said:

Homework Statement

There's a system of 4 masses, all connected to a cross which has a negligible mass, and which is positioned on a smooth surface. The distance of each mass from the center of the cross is L and the cross spins around its center in a constant radial velocity of ω0 rad/sec:
dPcyf.gif

Now mass m4 disconnects from the cross.

What is the the radial velocity of the system after m4 disconnected, considering m1=m3 and m2=m4=M?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
Ʃmivi=0

Conservation of angular momentum:
Ʃmiviri=ωI

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated using conservation of momentum that the linear velocity of the system after m4 disconnected was v2=Mω0L/(M+2m)

Now I think I should use the law of conservation of angular momentum but I'm not sure how. I think that the center of mass is L/2 to the right from the center of the cross so the distance of m1 and m3 from the center of mass is √((0.5L)2+L2). What should I do next?
You have to start with conservation of energy.
All masses have equal tangential velocity.
As mass m4 detached from the cross(it follows a tangential path), the total energy of the system remains.

Using consevation of momentum requires the momentum of detached mass m4, which follows a straight line.

You are on the right track by considering the law of conservation of angular momentum. In this system, the total angular momentum remains constant before and after the mass m4 disconnects. This means that the initial angular momentum of the system, Ʃmiviri, must equal the final angular momentum, ωI, where I is the moment of inertia of the system.

To calculate the moment of inertia, you can use the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a system about a point is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the mass of the system times the square of the distance between the two points. In this case, the moment of inertia about the center of mass would be the moment of inertia of the cross, which can be calculated using the formula for a rectangular plate.

Once you have calculated the moment of inertia, you can set the initial and final angular momentums equal to each other and solve for ω, the final angular velocity of the system. This will give you the answer to the question of what the radial velocity of the system is after m4 disconnects.

Related to Conservation of angular momentum

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a physical law that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the angular momentum of an object will not change unless acted upon by an external torque or force.

2. How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is a measure of the rotational motion of an object.

3. What is the significance of conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is significant because it is a fundamental law of physics that governs the motion of rotating objects. It has many practical applications, such as in understanding the motion of planets and satellites, and in engineering design for rotating systems.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects through the transfer of momentum or through external torques acting on the objects. However, the overall angular momentum of a closed system will not change.

5. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday situations?

Conservation of angular momentum can be observed in everyday situations, such as the motion of spinning tops, figure skaters, and gyroscopes. It also plays a role in the stability of objects, such as bicycles and spinning tops, and is essential in understanding the motion of celestial bodies like planets and stars.