Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, the problem involves two uniform circular disks connected by a string, as well as a smaller hub and disk also connected by a string. The ratios of the radii and densities of the disks are given, and all are spinning in the same direction. The task is to find the ratio of angular momentum between the largest and smallest disks, using the fact that connected disks have the same tangential speed.
murphy
I have a physics problem that I think is not so hard but I just can't get the answer. There are two uniform circular disks that are rotating and attached by a string. there is no slip between the string and the disks. On the small disk is a hub that is attached like the first two to an even smaller disk by string. The radii are given for the three disks and the hub, and the smallest disk and largest disk have equal densities and thickness. I am asked to find the ratio between the magnitude of the angular momentum of the biggest disk to the angular momentum of the smallest disk. All the disks are spinning in the same direction. I added a picture of this but I'm not sure how exactly so it might not show. I appresciate any help I can get with this!

Attachments

• Fig11_42.gif
    Fig11_42.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
I get

[tex]\frac {L_C}{L_B} = \frac {R_A R_C}{R_B^2}[/tex]

on my first runthrough.

The angular momentum of each disk is [itex]L = I \omega[/itex]. Disks connected by strings will have the same tangential speed ([itex]v = \omega R[/itex]); use that fact to relate the angular speeds of the connected disks.

My answer differs from Tide's. ([itex]L_C/L_B[/itex] will depend on the hub radius, for one thing.) But I think you can figure it out for yourself. (Why should Tide and I have all the fun? :smile: )

Al,

You're right - I mistyped my expression off my notepad but we'll let Murphy figure it out! :-)

Thanks! I love this forum!

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum

1. What is the definition of "Conservation of Angular Momentum"?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, taking into account its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because a rotating object will continue to rotate at a constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an external force or torque. This means that the angular momentum of the object remains constant, even if the shape or position of the object changes.

4. What are some real-world examples of conservation of angular momentum?

Some examples of conservation of angular momentum in everyday life include spinning tops, ice skaters performing spins, and the Earth's rotation around its axis. In all of these cases, the angular momentum remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on the system.

5. What is the importance of conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and has many practical applications. It helps us understand the motion of objects in space, the behavior of rotating systems, and the stability of objects such as satellites and planets. It also plays a crucial role in various engineering and technological developments.