Conservation of Angular Momentum Question

In summary: The ball remains in the same direction, but the pendulum moves down. This is because the pendulum's velocity is in the opposite direction as the ball's initial velocity.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A 2 meter long bar weighing 90N hangs vertically from a frictionless pivot. The ball is hit at a point 1.5 Meters below the ceiling by a ball that weighs 3Kg and is traveling with a velocity of 10 m/s. The ball bounces back with a velocity of -6 m/s. Find the angular speed of the bar just after the collision.

Homework Equations

L = Iw = mv x r

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up finding the answer but I don't understand one step.
At first I set up

(3kg)*(10m/s)(1.5m) = (3kg)*(-6m/s)(1.5m) + (1/12)(9.18kg)((2^2)m)w
Solving for w gives 23.5 rad/s, the WRONG answer.

When I act like the ball's velocity ISN"T in the opposite direction as it was initially, I get the right answer, wtf!?

(3kg)*(10m/s)(1.5m) = (3kg)*(6m/s)(1.5m) + (1/12)(9.18kg)((2^2)m)w
w = 5.88m/s

Is there some weird angular momentum absolute value stuff going on here? I don't get it... Part B asks "Why is the systems angular momentum conserved but the linear momentum is not," I hope it has something to do with the observation I just noticed.

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
(3kg)*(10m/s)(1.5m) = (3kg)*(-6m/s)(1.5m) + (1/12)(9.18kg)((2^2)m)w
The rod in the problem is hanging by its end, not its center so factor of 1/12 is wrong here, 1/3 should be used. Because the moment of inertia in both cases are different and tend to give different answers. Moreover, mass of rod should be 90/9.81. solve again and you would arrive at the correct answer.

and as far as linear momentum is concerned, since the rod is pivoted it experiences force at the pivot point linear momentum conservation goes out the window!:wink:

Edit: and frictionless pivot just means that rotation is smooth, so angular momentum is conserved.
And the second method isn't correct for the given condition, for the reason you already know.

Likes 1 person
(With the help of NihalSh on the correction of the equations)

When calculating angular momentum, it may be easier for you to put the ball on one side, and the bar on the other.

(3kg)(10m/s)(1.5m) + (3kg)(-6m/s)(1.5m) = (1/3)(90/9.81kg)((2^2)m)w

You can then take the negative out,

(3kg)(10m/s)(1.5m) - (3kg)(6m/s)(1.5m) = (1/3)(90/9.81kg)((2^2)m)w

now adding to the other side, we get your second equation,

(3kg)*(10m/s)(1.5m) = (3kg)*(6m/s)(1.5m) + (1/3)(90/9.81kg)((2^2)m)w

which appeared to give you the correct answer.

For part B, consider the velocities of both the ball, and the pendulum. Velocity is a vector, and has both magnitude and direction. Which objects remain in the same direction, and which ones move?

Last edited:

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum Question

1. What is the definition of conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if no external torque is acting on the system. This means that the rotational motion of a system will remain unchanged unless an external force is applied.

2. How is conservation of angular momentum related to Newton's first law of motion?

The conservation of angular momentum is closely related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of angular momentum, this external force would be a torque.

3. Can conservation of angular momentum be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the conservation of angular momentum can be applied to all types of motion as long as the system is isolated and there is no external torque acting on it. This principle is applicable to rotational motion, as well as translational motion.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum explain the behavior of spinning objects?

Conservation of angular momentum explains the behavior of spinning objects by stating that the rotational speed of the object will remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that if a spinning object, such as a top, has a constant mass and distribution of mass, its rotational speed will remain constant even as it tilts or wobbles.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

Some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum include the spinning of a figure skater on ice, the rotation of Earth on its axis, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the spinning of a gyroscope. In all of these examples, the total angular momentum remains constant unless an external torque is applied.