Conservation of Angular Momentum of uniform disk

In summary, a uniform disk with a diameter of 2r is rotating at 8.6 rev/s around a frictionless spindle. A nonrotating rod, also of mass m and length 2r, is dropped onto the disk and they rotate together around the spindle with their centers superposed. Using the equation Li=Lf and the moments of inertia for a disk and rod, the final angular velocity of the combination is found to be 7.37 rev/s.
ash10n

Homework Statement

A uniform disk turns at 8.6 rev/s around a frictionless spindle. A nonrotating rod, of the same mass as the disk and length equal to the disk's diameter, is dropped onto the freely spinning disk, see the figure. They then turn together around the spindle with their centers superposed. What is the angular velocity of the combination?
m,r,[tex]\omega[/tex]f, are all arbitrary?

Homework Equations

Li=Lf
L=I*[tex]\omega[/tex]
Ii=1/2m*r2
If=1/2m*r2+1/12m*r2

The Attempt at a Solution

If=1/2mr^2+1/12mr^2=7/12mr^2
8.6(1/2mr^2)=[tex]\omega[/tex](7/12mr^2)
8.6*1/2=[tex]\omega[/tex]*7/12
[tex]\omega[/tex]=4.3/(7/12)=7.37rev/s
Added info
I also tried using a final mass of 2m, with a final answer of 3.69, which was also incorrect
Solution
The length of the rod is equal to 2r, making the final moment of inertia equal to 5/6mr^2, not 7/12mr^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ash10n said:
If=1/2mr^2+1/12mr^2=7/12mr^2
Be careful with the above equation regarding the rod. The moment of inertia for a rod rotating around its center is
I = (1/12)ml2,
where l is the length of the rod. But in this problem, l is not equal to the disk's radius. Rather l is equal to the disk's diameter.

[Edit: Oh, wait. I see you already figured that out. Okay then! :smile:]

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum of uniform disk

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

How does conservation of angular momentum apply to a uniform disk?

In the case of a uniform disk, conservation of angular momentum means that the product of the disk's moment of inertia and its angular velocity must remain constant, as long as there are no external torques acting on the disk.

What is the moment of inertia of a uniform disk?

The moment of inertia of a uniform disk is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion, and it depends on the mass and distribution of the disk's mass. For a uniform disk, the moment of inertia is equal to 1/2 * mass * radius^2.

How does angular velocity affect the conservation of angular momentum of a uniform disk?

The angular velocity of a uniform disk is directly proportional to its angular momentum, according to the equation L = I * ω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. As long as there are no external torques acting on the disk, the product of I and ω must remain constant.

What are some real-life applications of conservation of angular momentum of a uniform disk?

Conservation of angular momentum applies to many real-life situations, such as the motion of spinning tops, rotating planets, and spinning ice skaters. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as planets orbiting around a star.