Conservation of Angular Momentum of an asteroid

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem where an asteroid collides with the Earth and causes the day to become 28% longer. The problem involves conservation of angular momentum and the final solution is derived by setting the initial and final angular momentum equal to each other. The resulting mass of the asteroid is found to be 0.112 times the mass of the Earth.
ASUengineer16

Homework Statement

Suppose that an asteroid traveling straight toward the center of the Earth were to collide with our planet at the equator and bury itself just below the surface.

Now The question asks: What would have to be the mass of this asteroid, in terms of the Earth's mass {\rm M} , for the day to become 28.0% longer than it presently is as a result of the collision? Assume that the asteroid is very small compared to the Earth and that the Earth is uniform throughout.

Homework Equations

In the book it mentions this is a conservation of angular momentum problem, so:
I think that I1w1 + mvl = I2w2, where I1 is the inertia of the Earth and I2 is the inertia of the Earth and asteroid together; and w1 is angular velocity of Earth originally and w2 is angular velocity of the Earth and asteroid combined. I am not sure how to go about solving this one and how to relate the length of day being 28% longer to angular momentum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to conserve angular momentum about the center of the earth. Since the asteroid is headed straight for the center, your equation becomes:

I1 w1 = I2 w2, where:

I1 = (2/5) M(earth) R^2;
I2 = (2/5) M(earth) R^2 + m(ast) R^2

There's no mvl term since the asteroid doesn't hit the Earth tangentially.

For the w business, use T = 24 hrs initially => w1 = 2 pi / T etc.

Thank you that worked perfectly!

Came out to be .112M as the mass of the asteroid. Thanks again, I'm not a big fan of this angular moment stuff :(

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum of an asteroid

What is conservation of angular momentum of an asteroid?

Conservation of angular momentum is the principle that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the context of an asteroid, this means that its rotational speed and direction will not change unless it is affected by an external force.

Why is conservation of angular momentum important for studying asteroids?

Conservation of angular momentum is important for studying asteroids because it allows us to understand their rotational behavior and how they interact with other objects in space. By knowing the asteroid's angular momentum, we can predict its future trajectory and potential collisions with other celestial bodies.

How is angular momentum conserved in an asteroid's orbit around a planet?

An asteroid's angular momentum is conserved in its orbit around a planet because the gravitational force between the two objects acts as a centripetal force, keeping the asteroid in a stable orbit. As the asteroid moves closer to the planet, its velocity increases to maintain a constant angular momentum.

Can conservation of angular momentum explain the formation of asteroid belts?

Yes, conservation of angular momentum can help explain the formation of asteroid belts. As a large body, such as a planet, forms and begins to rotate, it will pull in smaller objects and debris from its surrounding space. These objects will also inherit the planet's angular momentum, causing them to orbit in the same direction and plane, forming an asteroid belt.

What factors can affect the conservation of angular momentum in an asteroid's orbit?

The conservation of angular momentum in an asteroid's orbit can be affected by external forces, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, collisions with other objects, and changes in the asteroid's mass distribution. These factors can cause changes in the asteroid's rotational speed and direction, altering its angular momentum.