Conservation of Angular Momentum in Collision with Rotations

In summary, we are trying to find the mass of the particle (m) and the amount of energy dissipated during the collision. We can use conservation of energy and angular momentum to solve this problem. The angular momentum of the system before and after the collision should be equal, which will help us set up an equation to find the missing variables.
maniacp08
339698289.jpg

A uniform rod of length L1 = 2.2 m and mass M = 2.8 kg is supported by a hinge at one end and is free to rotate in the vertical plane. The rod is released from rest in the position shown. A particle of mass m is supported by a thin string of length L2 = 1.8 m from the hinge. The particle sticks to the rod on contact. After the collision, θmax = 40°.

(a) Find m.
kg
(b) How much energy is dissipated during the collision?
J

Relevant Equations:
Angular momentum = I * omega

I'm having trouble starting this problem. I should compare using energy of conservation before and after collision correct?

I for the thin rod = 1/3 ML^2

Energy of conservation for the rod before collision
Kf - Ki + Uf - Ui = 0
Ki = 0
Kf + Uf - Ui = 0
1/2(1/3ML^2) * omega ^2 + Uf - Ui = 0
What will Uf and Ui be?

Im not even sure if what I am doing is correct, can someone guide me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can help me get started with this problem please.

Hi maniacp08,

maniacp08 said:
339698289.jpg

A uniform rod of length L1 = 2.2 m and mass M = 2.8 kg is supported by a hinge at one end and is free to rotate in the vertical plane. The rod is released from rest in the position shown. A particle of mass m is supported by a thin string of length L2 = 1.8 m from the hinge. The particle sticks to the rod on contact. After the collision, θmax = 40°.

(a) Find m.
kg
(b) How much energy is dissipated during the collision?
J

Relevant Equations:

I'm having trouble starting this problem. I should compare using energy of conservation before and after collision correct?

You will compare them for part b, because kinetic energy is not conserved in this collision and the difference in energies will be equal to how much energy is dissipated.

You can use conservation of energy for other parts of this problem (you have to consider the swinging motion before the collision, and the swinging motion after the collision), but for the collision itself, what is conserved?

Attachments

• 339698289.jpg
    339698289.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 336
Hi, alphysicist, thanks for responding.

The collision itself, the angular momentum is conserved.

Do I consider the before collision or after collision first?
Do I use conservation of energy on the particle or the rod?
Im just confuse on how to start this.

maniacp08 said:
Hi, alphysicist, thanks for responding.

The collision itself, the angular momentum is conserved.

Do I consider the before collision or after collision first?
Do I use conservation of energy on the particle or the rod?
Im just confuse on how to start this.

To use conservation of angular momentum for the collision, you don't do either one first, you set them equal to each other.

So the angular momentum of the system right before the collision (the instant the rod touches the particle) is equal to the total angular momentum of both of them right after the collision is over. Setting up that equation will then show you what else you need to find in the problem.

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum in Collision with Rotations

What is a collision with rotation?

A collision with rotation occurs when two objects collide and both have rotational motion, meaning they are spinning or rotating around an axis.

How is the collision between two rotating objects different from a collision between two non-rotating objects?

In a collision between two rotating objects, the kinetic energy is not only transferred through linear motion, but also through rotational motion. This can result in additional forces and torque being applied, making the collision more complex.

What factors affect the outcome of a collision with rotation?

The outcome of a collision with rotation can be influenced by the masses, velocities, and moments of inertia of the objects involved, as well as the angle and point of impact between them.

What is the conservation of angular momentum and how does it apply to collisions with rotation?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. In collisions with rotation, the initial angular momentum of the system is equal to the final angular momentum, meaning the total amount of rotational motion remains constant.

How can collisions with rotation be applied in real-world situations?

Collisions with rotation can be seen in sports, such as billiards and ice hockey, as well as in car accidents, where the momentum and rotational motion of the vehicles can greatly impact the outcome of the collision.