Conservation of ang. momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis

In summary, conservation of angular momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on it. This principle applies to rotational motion by stating that the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity will remain constant. Paths reaching a rotation axis are important in conservation of angular momentum as they allow us to predict the behavior of an object without considering all external forces. Some real-life examples include a spinning top and the Earth's rotation around its own axis. Conservation of angular momentum cannot be violated, but may appear to be violated in certain situations.
quantum52
Hey everyone.
My question is the following: if we had the trajectory of a particle eventually reaching a point of a rotation axis [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] ((take that as being the z-axis for convenience) by an angle [itex] s [/itex] , would Noethers Theorem still give a conserved quantity?

More specifically (let me go through the calculations and details first)

1. Statement of Noether's Theorem

If a Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal{L}(\vec{q_i}, \dot{\vec{q_i}}, t) [/itex] admits a one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms [itex] h^s : \mathcal{M} \rightarrow \mathcal{M} [/itex] such that [itex] h^{(s=0)} (\vec{q_i})= \vec{q_i} [/itex], then there is a conserved quantity locally given by [tex] I = \sum_{i} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{q_i}} \left.\frac{d}{ds}(h^s(q_i))\right\vert_{s=0} [/tex]

2. Applying to Simple Lagrangian

Assume a potential-free Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{m}{2}( \dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2 ) [/itex].
A suitable transformation can be given by [tex] h^s (x,y,z)= \begin{pmatrix}
cos(s) & -sin(s) & 0 \\
sin(s) & cos(s) & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Working out the conserved quantity, we get that the z-component of angular momentum [itex] L_z = m \dot{y}(t) x(t) - m \dot{x}(t) y(t) [/itex] is conserved for any path [itex] (x(t),y(t),z(t)) [/itex].

3. The problem:
If this trajectory would include any point on the rotation axis z, [itex] h^s(q_i) [/itex] would be 0 there and so by conservation, valued 0 all along the path.
However, we know that angular momentum is conserved.
So, in all rigour - is this inconsistency amendable or a sign of some bigger problem?

Any comments are very welcome.
David

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello David,

Thank you for your question. Noether's theorem is a powerful tool in physics and can provide insight into the underlying symmetries and conserved quantities of a system. In your scenario, if the particle is moving along a trajectory that eventually reaches the rotation axis, then the symmetry under rotation about that axis is broken and Noether's theorem would not apply in the same way.

In your calculations, you assumed a potential-free Lagrangian, which means there are no external forces acting on the particle. However, if the particle reaches the rotation axis, it would experience a centripetal force that would change its motion and break the symmetry. In this case, the conserved quantity would not be the z-component of angular momentum, but rather the total angular momentum of the system, which includes the angular momentum of the particle and the rotation axis.

In general, Noether's theorem is only applicable to systems with a continuous symmetry. In your scenario, the rotation symmetry is broken at the point where the particle reaches the rotation axis, so the theorem does not apply in the same way. However, the total angular momentum of the system is still conserved, as angular momentum is a conserved quantity in any system with rotational symmetry.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Conservation of ang. momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis

1. What is conservation of angular momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis?

Conservation of angular momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on it.

2. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to rotational motion?

In rotational motion, conservation of angular momentum means that the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity will remain constant as long as there is no external torque acting on the object. This means that any changes in the object's rotation must be accompanied by an equal and opposite change in its moment of inertia or angular velocity.

3. What is the significance of paths reaching a rotation axis in conservation of angular momentum?

Paths reaching a rotation axis refer to the trajectory of an object that is moving in a circular or rotational motion. The conservation of angular momentum principle is particularly important for these types of paths because it allows us to predict the behavior of the object without having to consider the details of the forces acting on it.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis?

One common example of conservation of angular momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis is a spinning top. As the top spins, its angular momentum remains constant, allowing it to maintain its rotational motion without falling over. Another example is the Earth's rotation around its own axis, which has remained constant due to the conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it may appear to be violated in certain situations due to external torques that are not taken into consideration or small inaccuracies in measurements.