Conservation Laws in Rotational Motion

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere of mass 6.0 kg mounted on a vertical axis, a 1.0 kg pulley, and a 4.0 kg block attached to the pulley through a massless cord. The goal is to find the speed of the block after it has fallen 80 cm. Using the equations for energy and forces, the solution involves finding the tensions in the cord and using them to calculate the acceleration of the block. The radius of the pulley and sphere are needed to solve the problem, which can be found by relating them to the tensions in the cord. Once the radius is known, the final speed of the block can be calculated using the equations of motion.
Draggu

Homework Statement

15. A solid sphere of mass 6.0 kg is mounted on a vertical axis and can rotate freely without friction. A massless cord is wrapped around the middle of the sphere and passes over a 1.0 kg pulley and is attached to block of mass 4.0 kg, as shown. What is the speed of the block after it has fallen 80 cm? Treat the pulley as solid cylinder.

Homework Equations

E initial = E after
ωp = angular velocity of pulley
ωs = angular velocity of sphere
rp = radius of pulley
rs = radius of sphere

Forces
-------

Pulley: Iα = Rp(T2-T1)
(rp^2/2)(a/rp) = Rp(T2-T1)
=(a)/2 = T2-T1

Block: mg-T2 = ma
=39.2 - T2 = 4a

Sphere: Iα = Rs(T1)
T1 = (2/5)(6)(rs)^2
T1= 2a/5

a = 8m/s^2
T2=7.2N
T1=3.2N

v^2-v0^2 = 2ad
v0 = 0

v^2 = 2(8)(.8)
v=3.57m/s

So initially I thought energy would be used in this situation, but now I'm trying to think if it's even necessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is more than one way to approach the problem fersure.
Just pick the one you feel comfy with.

When I try with the energy conservation method, I get a different number. Perhaps you could offer some insight into this?

mgh = ΔKE block + ΔKE pulley + ΔKE sphere
mgh = (0.5)(4)(v22-v12) + (0.5)(Ipulley)(ω2212) + (0.5)(Isphere)(ω2212)
=(0.5)(4)(v22) + (0.5)(0.5)(1kg)(Rp2)(ω22) + (0.5)(2/5)(6kg)(Rs2)(ω22)
(4kg)(9.8)(0.8m) = 2(v22) + (1/4)(Rp2)(vp2/Rp2) + (6/5)(Rs2)(vs2/Rs2)
31.36 = 2(vb2) + (1/4)(vp2) + (6/5)(vs2)

Not too sure where to go from here.

relate vp and vs to the speed of the block.

How would I go about doing that? Assuming the velocities are the same, I get 3.01m/s.. which is different than the value from forces. Hmm, so you say to relate them. Which means either vb = vp = vs, or vb = vp + vs?

Last edited:
Draggu said:
How would I go about doing that? Assuming the velocities are the same, I get 3.01m/s.. which is different than the value from forces. Hmm, so you say to relate them. Which means either vb = vp = vs, or vb = vp + vs?
vb = vp = vs, as you did to obtain the (correct) result in post #5.
In the OP, these equations are wrong:
=(a)/2 = T2-T1
Check the dimensions of each side.

haruspex said:
vb = vp = vs, as you did to obtain the (correct) result in post #5.
In the OP, these equations are wrong:

Check the dimensions of each side.

Hi, thanks for replying.

I re-did the question and figured out what went wrong. I'm extremely silly... in the net force for the sphere I wrote "2a/5" instead of "12a/5" heh. That was enough to mess everything up! Confirmed, got the same answers using both methods. Thanks guys.

Well done. :)

Sorry, but this makes absolutely zero sense to me. Without radius, I am hooped. I have tried both the energy
and force approach and gotten stuck midway through.
Draggu said:

Homework Statement

15. A solid sphere of mass 6.0 kg is mounted on a vertical axis and can rotate freely without friction. A massless cord is wrapped around the middle of the sphere and passes over a 1.0 kg pulley and is attached to block of mass 4.0 kg, as shown. What is the speed of the block after it has fallen 80 cm? Treat the pulley as solid cylinder.

Homework Equations

E initial = E after
ωp = angular velocity of pulley
ωs = angular velocity of sphere
rp = radius of pulley
rs = radius of sphere

Forces
-------

Pulley: Iα = Rp(T2-T1)
=(a)/2 = T2-T1

Block: mg-T2 = ma
=39.2 - T2 = 4a

Sphere: Iα = Rs(T1)
T1 = (2/5)(6)(rs)^2
T1= 2a/5

a = 8m/s^2
T2=7.2N
T1=3.2Nv^2-v0^2 = 2ad
v0 = 0

v^2 = 2(8)(.8)
v=3.57m/sSo initially I thought energy would be used in this situation, but now I'm trying to think if it's even necessary.

I have no clue how you solved for this...how did you go from Ia=r(sphere)(T1) to T1=(2/5)(6)r(sphere)^2. Shouldn't it go to T1=mr^2a/r(sphere). I am so lost. Could somebody just explain to me how you got the tensions + how to not get stuck since radius is not given. Please!

Grabo said:
Ia=r(sphere)(T1) to T1=(2/5)(6)r^2. Shouldn't it go to T1=mr^2a/r.
Why would it do that? What is I in terms of m and r for a solid sphere? Please post your working.

1. What are conservation laws in rotational motion?

Conservation laws in rotational motion refer to the principles that state certain quantities, such as angular momentum and angular velocity, remain constant in a closed system, regardless of external forces acting on the system.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (an object's resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates). It is a conserved quantity in rotational motion.

3. How do conservation laws in rotational motion relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation laws in rotational motion are an extension of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law of motion (an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an external force) and the third law of motion (for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction). In rotational motion, these laws apply to angular momentum and torque, respectively.

4. What are some real-world applications of conservation laws in rotational motion?

Conservation laws in rotational motion have many real-world applications, including in the design of vehicles such as cars and airplanes, the motion of planets and celestial bodies, and the behavior of spinning tops and gyroscopes.

5. Can conservation laws in rotational motion be violated?

No, conservation laws in rotational motion are fundamental principles in physics and cannot be violated. However, external forces may cause changes in the angular momentum and angular velocity of a system, but the total amount of these quantities will remain constant.