Consequences of space-/time-/light-like separations

In summary, the three statements regarding space-like, time-like, and light-like space-time intervals have been proven to be true. The existence of a reference frame where two events are simultaneous is dependent on the events being space-like separated, while the existence of a reference frame where two events are coincident at a single spatial point is dependent on the events being time-like separated. For events that are light-like separated, there are no reference frames in which they are simultaneous or coincident at a single spatial point.
"Don't panic!"
I'm trying to prove the following statements relating to space-like, time-like and light-like space-time intervals:

1. There exists a reference frame in which two space-time events are simultaneous if and only if the two events are space-like separated.

2. There exists a reference frame in which two space-time events are coincident at a single spatial point if and only if the two events are time-like separated.

3. If two events are light-like separated, then there are no reference frames in which they are simultaneous or coincident at a single spatial point.

I can't seem to find any notes that a can verify my attempt with so I'm hoping that people won't mind taking a look at my workings on here to see if they're correct.Consider the space-time interval [tex]\Delta S^{2}= (\Delta x^{0})^{2}-(\Delta\mathbf{x})^{2}[/tex] where we use the metric signature ##(+,-,-,-)##.
We then perform a spatial rotation of our coordinate system such that one of the space-time events ##x^{\mu}## is located at the origin of our reference, [tex]x^{\mu}=(0,0,0,0)[/tex] The other space-time event that we consider ##y^{\mu}## is then spatially aligned along the ##z##-axis in our coordinate system, [tex]y^{\mu}=(y^{0},0,0,y^{3})[/tex]

Given this, we shall now consider each of the (numbered) cases above.

1. Space-like interval :

First, let the two events ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## be simultaneous in our inertial frame of reference ##S##, i.e. ##x^{0}=0=y^{0}##. It then follows that the space-time interval between them is given by [tex]\Delta S^{2}=(x^{\mu}-y^{\mu})^{2}=(0-0)^{2}-(0-y^{3})^{2}=-(y^{3})^{2}[/tex] Now, ##(y^{3})^{2}>0## and so clearly ##\Delta S^{2}<0##. Therefore, if the two events are simultaneous in $S$, then they are space-like separated.

Next, let the two events ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## be space-like separated. We have then that [tex]\Delta S^{2}=(x^{\mu}-y^{\mu})^{2}=(y^{0})^{2}-(y^{3})^{2}<0\quad\Rightarrow\quad\vert y^{0}\vert < \vert y^{3}\vert[/tex] Thus, we can choose ##\beta =v=\frac{y^{0}}{(y^{3})}## (in units where ##c=1##). From this, we see that ##\beta <1## as required. Performing a Lorentz boost along the ##z##-axis we can relate the coordinates ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## in ##S## to their expressions in another inertial frame ##S'## [tex]x'^{0}=\gamma\left(0-\beta 0\right)=0\; , \qquad x'^{3}=\gamma\left(0-\beta 0\right)=0[/tex] and [tex]y'^{0}=\gamma\left(y^{0}-\beta y^{3}\right)=0 \; , \qquad y'^{3}=\gamma\left(y^{3}-\beta y^{0}\right)[/tex] where ##\gamma =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \beta^{2}}}##.

Hence, in ##S'## we see that the two space-time events have the following coordinates [tex]x'^{\mu}=(0,0,0,0) , \qquad y'^{\mu}=(0,0,0,y'^{3})[/tex] and thus are simultaneous in this frame.

2. Time-like interval :

This follows a very similar approach to the space-like case.
First, let the two events ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## be coincident at a single spatial point in our inertial frame of reference ##S##, i.e. ##\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{0}=\mathbf{y}##. It then follows that the space-time interval between them is given by [tex]\Delta S^{2}=(x^{\mu}-y^{\mu})^{2}=(0-y^{0})^{2}-(0-0)^{2}=(y^{0})^{2}[/tex] Now, ##(y^{0})^{2}>0## and so clearly ##\Delta S^{2}>0##. Therefore, if the two events are spatially coincident in $S$, then they are time-like separated.

Next, let the two events ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## be time-like separated. We have then that [tex]\Delta S^{2}=(x^{\mu}-y^{\mu})^{2}=(y^{0})^{2}-(y^{3})^{2}>0\quad\Rightarrow\quad\vert y^{0}\vert > \vert y^{3}\vert[/tex] Thus, we can choose ##\beta =v=\frac{y^{3}}{(y^{0})}## (in units where ##c=1##). From this, we see that ##\beta <1## as required. Performing a Lorentz boost along the ##z##-axis we can relate the coordinates ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## in ##S## to their expressions in another inertial frame ##S'## [tex]x'^{0}=\gamma\left(0-\beta 0\right)=0\; , \qquad x'^{3}=\gamma\left(0-\beta 0\right)=0[/tex] and [tex]y'^{0}=\gamma\left(y^{0}-\beta y^{3}\right) \; , \qquad y'^{3}=\gamma\left(y^{3}-\beta y^{0}\right)=0[/tex] where ##\gamma =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}##.

Hence, in ##S'## we see that the two space-time events have the following coordinates [tex]x'^{\mu}=(0,0,0,0)\; , \qquad y'^{\mu}=(y'^{0},0,0,0)[/tex] and thus are spatially coincident in this frame.
3. Light-like interval :

In this last case it is trivial, as given two events ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}##, if they are light-like separated, then [tex]\Delta S^{2}=(x^{\mu}-y^{\mu})^{2}=(y^{0})^{2}-(y^{3})^{2}=0[/tex] and thus it is impossible to find a frame in which they are either simultaneous, or spatially coincident, as either one would change the interval into a space-like or a light-like interval. The interval is Lorentz invariant, so this clearly cannot be the case.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What part are you having trouble with? It looks ok.

DEvens said:
What part are you having trouble with? It looks ok.

Nothing in particular, I just wasn't sure whether I'd constructed my argument correctly - particularly whether I've done the Lorentz transformation parents correctly?! Was seeking clarification more than anything really.

Likes DEvens
"Don't panic!" said:
I'm trying to prove the following statements relating to space-like, time-like and light-like space-time intervals:

1. There exists a reference frame in which two space-time events are simultaneous if and only if the two events are space-like separated.

2. There exists a reference frame in which two space-time events are coincident at a single spatial point if and only if the two events are time-like separated.

3. If two events are light-like separated, then there are no reference frames in which they are simultaneous or coincident at a single spatial point.

If we have two points ##P(t_1,x_1)## and ##Q(t_2,x_2)## with ##\Delta t = t_2-t_1,\ \Delta x=x_2-x_1## the transformed interval ##\Delta t' - \Delta x'## is
##\gamma \Delta t +\beta\gamma \Delta x - (\gamma \Delta x +\beta\gamma \Delta t )= \gamma(1-\beta)(\Delta t - \Delta x)##

From this you can work out quickly the answers to your question. I can't see anything wrong with what you've done, I'm just proposing slightly more compact way.

Likes DEvens
Mentz114 said:
From this you can work out quickly the answers to your question. I can't see anything wrong with what you've done, I'm just proposing slightly more compact way.

Ok cool, thanks for the tip. Glad I've understand it correctly.

Likes DEvens

Related to Consequences of space-/time-/light-like separations

1. What are the consequences of space-like separations?

Space-like separations refer to events that occur at different locations in space, but at the same time according to a particular observer. The main consequence of space-like separations is that these events cannot have a causal relationship with each other. This means that one event cannot influence or affect the other, even if they appear to happen simultaneously. This is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

2. How do time-like separations differ from space-like separations?

Time-like separations refer to events that occur at different times, but at the same location in space according to a particular observer. Unlike space-like separations, time-like separations do have a causal relationship, meaning one event can influence the other. This is because information and effects can travel at or below the speed of light, allowing for cause and effect relationships to exist.

3. What are some real-world examples of light-like separations?

Light-like separations, also known as null separations, occur when two events happen at the same time and the same location in space. This is essentially the distance that light can travel in a given amount of time. Some real-world examples of light-like separations include a flash of lightning and the sound of thunder, a car crash and the sound of the impact, or a star exploding and the light reaching Earth at the same time.

4. How do the consequences of space-/time-/light-like separations affect our understanding of the universe?

The consequences of space-/time-/light-like separations are crucial in understanding the universe and how it operates. These concepts are fundamental to the theory of relativity and our understanding of space and time. They also have a significant impact on our understanding of causality and the limitations of information and communication throughout the universe.

5. Can events that are space-/time-/light-like separated ever have a direct influence on each other?

No, events that are space-/time-/light-like separated can never have a direct influence on each other. This is because the speed of light is the fastest possible speed at which information and effects can travel. This means that even if two events appear to happen simultaneously, they cannot have a direct causal relationship with each other. This principle is essential in our understanding of the laws of physics and the limitations of the universe.