Connes' non-commutative geometry: useful or just an exercise?

In summary, there are applications of noncommutative geometry in mathematical physics, particularly in particle physics and M-theory. However, there is limited research on its usefulness in physics beyond studying mathematical methods. Further references on the topic can be found on the Wikipedia page for noncommutative geometry.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I know about the construction of the algebra in which operators as in Hilbert spaces are developed from Connes' non-commutative geometry, but I don't find any references [besides further publications by Connes himself] which say that this has turned out to be useful in physics for more than a study of some of the mathematical methods involved. In other words, would any theory of physics be worse off if Connes had never published? If so, could someone tell me what, and if possible, some references freely available on the Internet? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, jedishrfu! (I don't know how I overlooked that...o:).) I have downloaded the referenced paper. That answers the question.

Yay! So many times I seem to miss the mark. Thank you.

Likes nomadreid

Related to Connes' non-commutative geometry: useful or just an exercise?

1. What is Connes' non-commutative geometry?

Connes' non-commutative geometry is a mathematical framework developed by Alain Connes in the late 1970s. It aims to apply concepts from geometry and topology to non-commutative algebraic structures, such as operator algebras, in order to study their properties and relationships.

2. How is Connes' non-commutative geometry useful?

Connes' non-commutative geometry has proven to be a powerful tool in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and theoretical physics. It has also led to new insights and solutions in problems related to the study of operator algebras and their applications.

3. Is Connes' non-commutative geometry just an exercise?

No, Connes' non-commutative geometry is not just an exercise. While it may have originated as a theoretical exercise, it has since evolved into a well-established and widely used mathematical framework with numerous practical applications in various fields.

4. What are some criticisms of Connes' non-commutative geometry?

Some criticisms of Connes' non-commutative geometry include its complexity and the difficulty in applying it to more general algebraic structures. Additionally, some mathematicians argue that it may not be as useful as originally claimed, as it may not always yield new results that cannot be obtained through other methods.

5. What are some current research directions in Connes' non-commutative geometry?

Some current research directions in Connes' non-commutative geometry include its applications to quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, as well as its connections to other areas of mathematics such as algebraic topology and K-theory. There is also ongoing work to further develop and refine the framework to make it more applicable to a wider range of problems and structures.