Connection between Tension/Torque/Inertia, & linear acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a block sliding down an inclined surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction and a string attached to a flywheel. The question is to calculate the acceleration of the block. To solve this, two free body diagrams were drawn and Newton's 2nd Law was used to find the tension of the block. The torque equation was also used, with the levers acting as the radius, to ultimately arrive at an acceleration of 1.744 m/s^2.
JournaL

Homework Statement

A block with mass m = 5.00 kg slides down a surface inclined 36.9 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. A string attached to the block is wrapped around a flywheel on a fixed axis at O. The flywheel has mass 25.0 kg and moment of inertia 0.500 kg m^2 with respect to the axis of rotation. The string pulls without slipping at a perpendicular distance of 0.400 m from that axis.

Calculate the Acceleration of the block.
"[URL
Figure[/URL]

Homework Equations

So far I drew up two Free Body Diagrams, one of the block and another of the Pulley.

Torque = Inertia * Angular Acceleration

Angular Acceleration= linear accelreation/ radius

Newton's 2nd Law

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I know that the pulley mass is not needed to find the acceleration of the block (according to my friend).

I used Newton's 2nd Law for the Tension of the block

Tension= mg( sin( theta) - Uk cos(theta ) - ma

Somehow I have to tie this with the Torque, but I don't know how. Would the levers be considered the radius?

Torque Net = Tension (r) - Uk (mg*r) , which would then equal to Inertia * linear acceleration/ Radius?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got the answer to be 1.744 m/s^2

Is this right?

Related to Connection between Tension/Torque/Inertia, & linear acceleration

1. How are tension, torque, and inertia related to linear acceleration?

Tension, torque, and inertia are all physical quantities that play a role in determining the linear acceleration of an object. Tension is the pulling force exerted on an object, torque is the twisting force that causes an object to rotate, and inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. Together, these factors determine the rate of change in an object's velocity, or its linear acceleration.

2. How does tension affect linear acceleration?

Tension can either increase or decrease the linear acceleration of an object, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. For example, if a rope is pulled with a greater tension, it will accelerate an object faster. On the other hand, if a rope is pulled with a tension opposing the motion of an object, it will decrease its linear acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between torque and linear acceleration?

The relationship between torque and linear acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the torque applied to an object is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and its angular acceleration. This means that a higher torque will result in a greater angular acceleration, which can then lead to a higher linear acceleration.

4. How does inertia affect linear acceleration?

Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion. The greater the inertia of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. This means that an object with a higher inertia will have a lower linear acceleration compared to an object with a lower inertia, when subjected to the same force.

5. Can the connection between tension, torque, and inertia be applied to all objects?

Yes, the connection between tension, torque, and inertia can be applied to all objects, regardless of their shape, size, or mass. These physical quantities are fundamental to understanding the motion of objects and are crucial in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics and physics.