Connection between killing forms and metrics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the killing form and metric in group theory. It is noted that the killing form is a metric on the Lie algebra, and the generators of the group form a basis for this tangent space. It is also mentioned that the Lie algebra corresponds to the tangent space of the group manifold. The conversation concludes with a question about why the tangent space of the group manifold at the origin is the Lie algebra. The answer is that it is a matter of definition, as a Lie group/manifold is one whose tangent bundle is a Lie algebra.
Bobhawke
I wasnt quite sure where to put this thread. This question occurred to me while I was looking at the group theory of standard model groups so I thought I'd put it here.

Anyway, here is my question: One can define the Killing form for a group by taking the trace of two generators. One can then choose a basis in which this quantity is diagonal and has entries + or - one. This appears to have the same form as a metric, and in fact in my notes the same symbol is used to denote the metric and the killing form. They both have many similar properties. But it doesn't seem to me like there should be any connection between the two - the killing form is a feature of the group, whereas the metric is a feature of the space we are working in. Are they indeed the same thing, and if they are, then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
On a (pseudo-)Riemannian manifold, a metric is simply a privileged symmetric invertible 2-tensor. If you have some suitably behaved differential manifold, like a Lie group, arbitrarily picking such a tensor will essentially make it into a Riemannian manifold.

it shouldn't surprise you too much that the killing form is a metric on the Lie algebra. If you have a tangent space on a manifold, you can define a metric on that tangent space by taking the suitably-defined dot products of all the basis vectors.

The Lie algebra is the tangent space of the Lie group manifold, the generators of the group form a basis for this tangent space, and the killing form is the suitably-defined dot product. So it really is the same story.

Ok but does the metric defined on the group space have anything to do with the metric for the vector space on which a matrix representation of the group acts?

Bobhawke said:
Ok but does the metric defined on the group space have anything to do with the metric for the vector space on which a matrix representation of the group acts?

It's not very clear what you mean by "metric for the vector space on which ... " but I think the quick answer is no...they have nothing to do with each other. For one the killing form (metric) is over an N_g dimensional space where N_g is the number of infinitesimal generators of the group. Different reps of the group have different dimensions... so at the very least you're dealing with different dimensional spaces. If you just look at the adjoint rep, then that will be N_g dimensional, but even in this case I'm not sure of there are any deep connections between the killing form and any other metric you migh be considering here...

Could someone explain to me why the tangent space to the group manifold at the origin is the lie algebra? I can almost see why - If you differentiate a group element you pull down a generator from the exponential, and then set it equal to the identity means you get just the generator. But you get that from differentiating a group element, to get a tangent space you have to differentiate vectors in the group manifold which is a different thing.

I'm not enterily sure what you mean by:

Bobhawke said:
Could someone explain to me why the tangent space to the group manifold at the origin is the lie algebra? I can almost see why - If you differentiate a group element you pull down a generator from the exponential, and then set it equal to the identity means you get just the generator. But you get that from differentiating a group element, to get a tangent space you have to differentiate vectors in the group manifold which is a different thing.

There is no such thing as "vectors in the group manifold". The group manifold is a parameter space, in which the set of parameters have the special property that they form a manifold. And manifolds have the 'special' property that you can define a tangent space. The group elements correspond to elements of the manifolds ("coordinates"). The tangent space near the origin is identified (or defined as) the corresponding Lie algebra.

A tangent space at some point x of a manifold is defined through differentiation of curves (not vectors) through this point x. The Lie algebra corresponds to the tangent space of the point x= identity of the group.

As a corrollary, vector elements of this tangent space act as differential operators on functions on the manifold. It's a bit of a mathematical structure, but if you seen it once you'll start to appreciate it.

Yeah ok I meant curves not vectors.

The point is why is it that the tangent space of the group space at the origin is the lie algebra? I mean I guess you can define it to be so, but then my question simply becomes this: why is it that the tangent space of the group manifold at the origin is a space with the group generators as its basis?

again, i think it's a matter of definition. a Lie group/manifold is one whose tangent bundle is a Lie algebra. That is: not all manifolds are Lie groups, only the ones for which this is true!

[I'm sure my wording above is very sloppy, but hopefully you get the idea].

But perhaps someone who has thought more about these issues can say more.

Related to Connection between killing forms and metrics

What is the connection between killing forms and metrics?

The connection between killing forms and metrics lies in the fact that killing forms are used to define metrics on a Riemannian manifold. Killing forms are a type of differential form that are used to represent the symmetry of a Riemannian manifold. These forms are used to define the inner product between tangent vectors, which in turn defines the metric on the manifold.

How are killing forms used to define metrics?

Killing forms are used to define metrics by providing a way to measure the length of tangent vectors on a Riemannian manifold. The inner product between two tangent vectors is given by the contraction of the killing form with the two tangent vectors. This inner product then defines the metric on the manifold, which in turn allows us to measure distances and angles between tangent vectors.

What is the significance of killing forms in Riemannian geometry?

Killing forms play a crucial role in Riemannian geometry as they are used to define the metric on a manifold. This metric is essential for measuring distances and angles between tangent vectors, which is important in understanding the geometry of a manifold. Killing forms also provide a way to detect symmetries on a Riemannian manifold, which is useful in studying its geometric properties.

How are killing forms related to Lie algebras?

Killing forms are closely related to Lie algebras as they are used to define the structure of a Lie algebra. The killing form of a Lie algebra is a bilinear form that measures the commutativity of elements in the algebra. In fact, the killing form is non-degenerate if and only if the Lie algebra is semisimple, which is an important property in the study of Lie algebras.

Can killing forms be used to define metrics on non-Riemannian manifolds?

No, killing forms can only be used to define metrics on Riemannian manifolds. This is because the concept of a metric only applies to Riemannian manifolds, which have a well-defined inner product between tangent vectors. In contrast, non-Riemannian manifolds do not have a well-defined inner product, so killing forms cannot be used to define metrics on them.