Connecting solar panels to a battery-operated mini fan

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a hand held fan that runs on both solar panels and rechargeable batteries. The speaker is concerned about the wirings and if the panels can still charge the batteries while the fan is running. They also mention the potential use of a storage device and controller and ask for help in making the project work. Suggestions are given to search for DIY solar projects online and to refer to a specific book for guidance.
lovelyday!
Is it possible to connect solar panels to a mini hand held fan and making it run on both rechargeable batteries and solar panels? I'm sorry if it's vague. i need to make a hand held fan that runs automatically on solar panels (when there's sun) and on its rechargeable batteries (when there's no sun haha!) it needs to be all built in. my worries are on the wirings. is it doable? can the panels still charge the batteries when it's running(turned on)?

wait, can i even change the source from disposable batteries to rechargeable batteries(like those covered batteries in cordless phones)? or can i put rechargeable batteries(normal looking ones available in the market) directly on the fan and would it be recharged there?

How can i make this thing work? please help me. i need it for my physics project. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
u may need a storage device and a controller of some sort. but i think u can do it

thanks for the reply nick.:) can the storage device be the batteries and what kind of controller? what's it for?

Go to the www.instructables.com website and do a search on "solar". There are all sorts of DIY solar projects listed that should get you headed in the right direction. Also Forest Mims "Electronic Sensor Circuits and Projects" Volume 3 has a section on Solar cell projects. There is a ton of solar circuits on the web, start searching.

thanks RTW69! :)

Related to Connecting solar panels to a battery-operated mini fan

1. How do I connect my solar panels to a battery-operated mini fan?

To connect your solar panels to your battery-operated mini fan, you will need a charge controller. This device regulates the flow of electricity from the solar panels to the battery, preventing overcharging and damage to the battery. Connect the positive and negative wires from your solar panels to the corresponding terminals on the charge controller. Then, connect the positive and negative wires from the charge controller to the positive and negative terminals on the battery. Finally, connect the positive and negative wires from the battery to the positive and negative terminals on the mini fan.

2. Do I need a specific type of battery for my solar panel and mini fan setup?

Yes, it is important to use a deep-cycle battery for your solar panel and mini fan setup. Deep-cycle batteries are designed to be discharged and recharged regularly, making them ideal for use with solar panels. Regular car batteries are not recommended as they are not designed to handle frequent charging and discharging.

3. Can I use multiple solar panels to power my mini fan?

Yes, you can use multiple solar panels to power your mini fan. However, it is important to make sure that the output voltage of the solar panels matches the input voltage of the fan. You may also need to use a larger battery or increase the size of your charge controller to accommodate the additional power from multiple solar panels.

4. How long will my battery-operated mini fan run on solar power?

The runtime of your mini fan will depend on the capacity of your battery, the size and efficiency of your solar panels, and the amount of sunlight available. Generally, a fully charged deep-cycle battery can power a mini fan for several hours. However, if you have multiple solar panels and a larger battery, you may be able to achieve longer runtimes.

5. Do I need to disconnect my solar panels from the battery when not in use?

No, you do not need to disconnect your solar panels from the battery when not in use. The charge controller will regulate the flow of electricity and prevent overcharging. However, it is recommended to disconnect the mini fan from the battery when not in use to conserve battery life.