Connecting multiple AC transformers

V/20W halogen bulbs. She has 2 AC transformers rated for 60W each and is wondering if she can connect their outputs in parallel to supply up to 120W for her lights. She is advised to make sure the transformers are identical and not push them to their maximum rating. In summary, Helena is asking if she can connect two 60W AC transformers in parallel to supply 120W for her lighting rig and is advised to use identical transformers and not push them to their maximum rating.
HelenaA
Hi,

I am a newbie so be kind :smile:

I am trying to build a lighting rig using 6 x 12V/20W hallogen bulbs. I have 2 AC transformers each able to deliver up to 60W. Assuming both transformers are supplied by the same 240V AC input, is it ok to connect their outputs together in parallel to supply up to 120W? I understand their outputs would need to be in phase with each other.

Thank you so much
Helena

Engineering news on Phys.org
Make sure the transformers are not only the same rating, but the same manufacturer and model. In other words, identical. It is not good design practice to run 120 watts worth of lights on transformers who's total rating is 120 watts. Don't push it right to the edge.

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated

Helena

Related to Connecting multiple AC transformers

1. How can I connect multiple AC transformers to increase voltage output?

To increase the voltage output, you can connect the transformers in series. This means connecting the primary coils of each transformer in a chain, with the secondary coil of one transformer connected to the primary coil of the next. The voltage output will be the sum of the individual transformers' output.

2. Can I connect different types of AC transformers together?

Yes, you can connect different types of AC transformers together as long as they have the same voltage and frequency ratings. However, it is important to note that the transformers should have similar impedance values to avoid damaging any of the components.

3. How do I connect multiple AC transformers to increase current output?

To increase the current output, you can connect the transformers in parallel. This means connecting the primary coils of each transformer to a common source, and the secondary coils to a common load. The current output will be the sum of the individual transformers' output.

4. Is it safe to connect multiple AC transformers together?

Yes, it is safe to connect multiple AC transformers together as long as they are properly wired and have compatible voltage and frequency ratings. It is important to follow safety precautions and use appropriate insulation to prevent electric shock.

5. Can I use multiple AC transformers to convert AC to DC?

Yes, you can use multiple AC transformers to convert AC to DC. However, this process will require additional components such as diodes and capacitors to rectify and smooth the output. It is important to use transformers with compatible voltage ratings and to properly design the circuit to ensure efficient conversion.