Web Development - any recommendations?

• Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary: OK, I will stop now; but I encourage you to read more about these people and their work. :)No, just an information xchange with those who don't know what I think they should know first of all before laying their hands on the mouse left-clicking and go to pages where the existence of one truly vector is represented in multidimentional spaces...Who can recognize which is what ? When they got the truth, Can they say who is who? That is why I listed out such names as examples for people to reference. :)
The_Professional
Can somebody recommend any good beginner book on PHP and MySql. And any advice would be appreciated as well.

This one was sent to me and I'm picking it up
PHP and MySql

Computer science news on Phys.org
"PHP and MySQL Web Development, Second Edition" written by Luke Welling & Laura Thomson

"MySQL and PHP: Visual QuickPro Guide" written by Larry Ullman

Those 2 books helped me start learning PHP/SQL development when I was a beginner. Probably the 2 best books related to PHP/SQL I've ever read; and believe me, I've read more than my fair share. Definitely pick them up if you're serious about learning the basic and advanced methods of development using PHP and SQL hand-in-hand. Also, check out some online tutorials from here: http://www.w3schools.com/ . There are abunch of good "Server Side scripting" tutorials at that website you can learn from.

Good luck!

Thanks Cod, that was a very good site as well.

I think sources or tutorials for web development like script-languages, database like mySQL are also available on the net...You can come to some web development forums and do a search on them...You sure get the results you want...
I am not learning about web, or it is acutally and absolutely out of my interest...but during the time I went search for some programming languages forums a month ago, search engines brought me a bunch of them..:sm:

Last edited:
Great to hear you want to learn php! I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years now and its GREAT once you learn a lot of functions. I can't remember a title for the book i used to have but you'd probably be better off getting something up to date anyway :smile: oh and, later on after you master the basics it will just come down to learning functions. Just look them up on PHP.net and if you learn how php.net documents the functions well it won't take you but a few seconds to pick one up and add it to your library.

Last edited:
Very good advice, Thanks!

I started learning php a week ago (and had dabbled in mysql a few months earlier) and found webmonkey and http://www.devshed.com/c/b/PHP/ have some very helpful tutorials for the beginner.

Once you master these the more advanced stuff isn't too hard when combined with the php and mysql manuals.

Coolmac said:
I started learning php a week ago (and had dabbled in mysql a few months earlier) and found webmonkey and http://www.devshed.com/c/b/PHP/ have some very helpful tutorials for the beginner.

Once you master these the more advanced stuff isn't too hard when combined with the php and mysql manuals.
Oh, my!
Those nets !

Last edited:
I love this book:

Open Source Web Development with LAMP
by James Lee and Brent Ware

LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Perl/PHP. Here is the book's website:

http://www.opensourcewebbook.com/

It covers a number of other related topics in addition to PHP/MySQL.

The book is not very deep, but it is excellent for beginners. It will give you just enough to get on your feet, and then you can move to other books or web tutorials. The PHP/MySQL parts will show you enough to build your own journal/blog. IMHO, once you understand that exercise, everything else follows pretty easily.

The_Professional said:
I also came upon http://www.php.net which has some nice tutorials
Net?
Haa, My Orgnizati0n!

Hey, OP! Come and feel all the blue http://www.php.org/forums/

Thanks a lot for helping myself !

Chen said:
Try www.sitepoint.com as well.
OP! OP! OP! OP! {smiling}
Get to that site, search for Karl, delve into Rowan, look up for Chris_W, run after JamieJelly etc to learn more about Meanie !
Oh yeah, don't ever forget to say Hi to Bradon Elley!

I_wish_I_was_smart, I_wish_I_knew_better !

Pattielli said:
OP! OP! OP! OP! {smiling}
Get to that site, search for Karl, delve into Rowan, look up for Chris_W, run after JamieJelly etc to learn more about Meanie !
Oh yeah, don't ever forget to say Hi to Bradon Elley!

I_wish_I_was_smart, I_wish_I_knew_better !
I_wish_you_made_sense! :wink:

You wanted me to say more
No, just an information xchange with those who don't know what I think they should know first of all before laying their hands on the mouse left-clicking and go to pages where the existence of one truly vector is represented in multidimentional spaces...
Who can recognize which is what ? When they got the truth, Can they say who is who? That is why I listed out such names as examples for people to reference.

I_wish_you_understood! (-_^)

Basically PHP is just a Server version of JavaScript with different functions. Syntax all the same. except it has a <? and > code tag. Just goto PHP.net for function references, that's all u need...

int[] $hut_Up = new int [ MAX_VALUE ]; :p

What is web development?

Web development refers to the process of creating and maintaining websites and web applications. It involves coding, designing, and managing the technical aspects of a website to ensure its functionality and usability.

What skills are needed for web development?

To be a successful web developer, one must have a strong understanding of programming languages such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Knowledge of database management, server-side scripting, and web design principles is also beneficial. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team are important for a web developer.

What are some recommended resources for learning web development?

There are many online resources available for learning web development, such as Codeacademy, W3Schools, and freeCodeCamp. These websites offer interactive tutorials, exercises, and projects to help beginners learn the basics of web development. Additionally, attending coding bootcamps, taking online courses, and reading books can also be helpful in learning web development.

What is the difference between front-end and back-end development?

Front-end development involves creating the user-facing aspects of a website, such as the layout, design, and interactivity. This is done using languages like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Back-end development, on the other hand, involves working with server-side languages and databases to store and retrieve data for the website. It is responsible for the functionality and logic behind the scenes.

What are some recommended tools for web development?

There are many tools available to aid in web development, such as text editors like Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code. These tools offer features like syntax highlighting, code completion, and debugging to make coding easier. Other helpful tools include version control systems like Git, task runners like Grunt and Gulp, and design tools like Photoshop and Sketch.