Biological/DNA ComputingYour thoughts?

• Thread starter StarkyDee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the conversation discusses the future of computing, particularly the development of biological computing. The speakers express different opinions on its potential uses and limitations, with one mentioning concerns about memory reliability and the other acknowledging its potential in the medical field. However, there are still questions about its reusability and the potential for expiration and corruption of the biological matter. Some also mention the idea of using living processors for computing.
StarkyDee
Here is the future of computing whether you like it or not! Here is a site that gives a great summary of what is in the future for computers. After reading this I would like to hear your comments on the topic..I hope this thread will become a real kicker))

http://www.uhisrc.com/FTB/BioComputing/FTBBioComp.pdf

Computer science news on Phys.org
From the way I see it biological computing makes sense when you are doing large scale problems repetitivly like genetic/biological testing but otherwise it becomes problematic. You cannot change the programing easily, it doesn't use a "neat" power source (electricity vs. ?) and as I understand it it is not reusable really but more of a one use thing. It may replace some electronics but I don't see how it is a viable option for replaceing the pc.

I recently read an article in the Fortean Times that may suggest that there would be trouble with memory as well. The article briefly discussed a study recently run on human memory that showed our old memories that are not often accessed tend to become corrupted and our brains alter them as we attepmt to fill in the lost information upon accessing them again. So as far as memory is concerned a biological medium may be to dynamic to retain information reliably unless you want to write and rewrite genetic coding for the purpose of information storage and even then who knows.

So I have finished reading that paper. Thinking about it I probably should have done so first before commenting, or at least that would have been more logical. It's very interesting what they are doing and it seems like the medical aplication is it's best market. I don't see though how they can overcome the non-reusable aspect without creating a living processor such as the Donovans Brain scenario that was discussed. Even then though I think there would still be trouble with the expiration and corruption of the biological matter. At the same time in support of the idea I have always thought that organic machines would be far superior to nuts and bolts.

1. What is biological/DNA computing?

Biological/DNA computing is a field of study that combines the principles of biology and computer science to create computing systems using biological molecules, such as DNA. These systems have the potential to perform complex calculations and store vast amounts of data in a smaller space compared to traditional computers.

2. How does biological/DNA computing work?

Biological/DNA computing utilizes the properties of DNA, such as its ability to store information and perform self-assembly, to create computational systems. This is achieved through the use of DNA molecules as the building blocks of computing structures, and the manipulation of these molecules using chemical and biological processes.

3. What are the advantages of biological/DNA computing?

One of the main advantages of biological/DNA computing is its potential for high parallelism and massive data storage. DNA molecules can hold an immense amount of information, making them ideal for data storage. Additionally, biological/DNA computing has the potential to be more energy-efficient and cost-effective compared to traditional computers.

4. What are the applications of biological/DNA computing?

Biological/DNA computing has a wide range of potential applications, including data storage, cryptography, and drug design. It can also be used in bioinformatics, where DNA computing can be used to analyze and process large amounts of biological data.

5. What are the challenges facing biological/DNA computing?

There are several challenges in the development and implementation of biological/DNA computing, including the high cost and complexity of the technology, as well as the need for specialized expertise in both biology and computer science. There are also concerns about the reliability and scalability of biological/DNA computing systems, which are still in the early stages of development.