Voynich Manuscript: An Unknown Language and Mysterious Drawings

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses an interesting web page about the Voynich manuscript, a mysterious manuscript written in an unknown language possibly in the 1600s. The manuscript contains astrological, botanical, and biological drawings and was written without any mistakes. Its author is unknown and it is currently housed in the Library at Yale. The website mentioned includes some pages from the manuscript. The subject of the manuscript's dating is brought up, and it is mentioned that it has been historically dated to the 1500s based on style and history. The website also mentions that it was first seen in 1586 at the court of Rudolph II of Bohemia, a famous "wizard Emperor" who employed well-known mystics and astrologers
Artman
I came across an interesting web page the other day. It described a manuscript written possibly in the 1600's, in an unknown language (it is the only known example of the language in the world). The manuscript has drawings in it of astrological symbols, biological drawings of plants, nude women bathing in strange plumbing fixtures, astronomical drawings as if viewed through a telescope and biological drawings as if viewed through a microscope. The manuscript was written with no mistakes (no erasures) and the author is unknown.

Just thought I would post this and see what your thoughts are on the subject. The book is called the Voynich manuscipt and I believe it is the Library at Yale.

Here is a web page to view some of the pages.

http://voynich.no-ip.com/folios/

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
How was it dated?

I reread the website and found that the paper has a history dating it to the 1500s "Historically, it first appears in 1586 at the court of Rudolph II of Bohemia..."

that website is here:

http://www.crystalinks.com/voynich.html

Sorry for the mistake. They dated it based on style and the history. I don't know if they attempted carbondating it yet.

"Historically, it first appears in 1586 at the court of Rudolph II of Bohemia..."

Of course Rudolph was the famous "wizard Emperor" (he was elected Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire). He employed such famous mystics and astrologers as John Dee and Johann Kepler. Just about everything mystical in that period (and there was a bunch) was attributed to him or his court.

1. What is the Voynich Manuscript?

The Voynich Manuscript is a handwritten book that dates back to the 15th century. It is written in an unknown language and is filled with mysterious drawings and diagrams.

2. Who wrote the Voynich Manuscript?

The author of the Voynich Manuscript is still unknown. Some theories suggest that it was written by an alchemist, a scientist, or even an extraterrestrial being.

3. Can anyone decipher the Voynich Manuscript?

Many attempts have been made to decipher the Voynich Manuscript, but so far, no one has been successful. The language used in the manuscript has yet to be identified, and the drawings and symbols are still a mystery.

4. What are some theories about the contents of the Voynich Manuscript?

Some theories suggest that the Voynich Manuscript contains secret codes, herbal remedies, or even a lost language. Others believe it is a hoax or a work of fiction.

5. Where can I see the Voynich Manuscript?

The Voynich Manuscript is currently housed at Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. It is available for viewing online or in person by appointment only.