Confusion with rope tension and monkeys

In summary, the conversation is about determining the rope tension required for two monkeys of different weights to begin accelerating in a pulley situation. The formula used is Fg - T = ma and the minimum tension required is found to be 205.26 N for the entire system. However, there is confusion about whether the tension in the rope should be the same throughout or if the pulley has a mass, which may affect the calculation.
ja!mee
So I am again stuck on a question I have been provided. The question is:

Draw a FBD for each monkey. For each monkey, determine the rope tension that would allow the monkey to begin accelerating in the expected direction. (on a side note this is a pulley situation one monkey is 22kg and the other was 20kg and they are looking for both the maximum and minimum tension required)

So what I did is:

Fg22 – T= ma
T = Fg22 – ma
T = (22kg)(9.8 m/s) – (22kg)(0.47 m/s) = 205.26 N

Which I realize is the rope tension for the whole system. What I am confused on is... I thought that the tension in the rope would be the same throughout... am I missing a step? What I am thinking is what I have done is found the minimum tension only.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as you and you are correct there is only one tension in the string... it is the same everywhere ... unless the pulley has a mass.

Related to Confusion with rope tension and monkeys

1. How does rope tension affect monkey behavior?

Rope tension can have a significant impact on monkey behavior. If the rope is too loose, monkeys may not be able to climb or swing on it effectively, which can lead to frustration and aggression. On the other hand, if the rope is too tight, it may be difficult for the monkeys to move and can also cause discomfort or injury.

2. What is the ideal tension for rope used with monkeys?

The ideal tension for rope used with monkeys varies depending on the type of monkey and the purpose of the rope. Generally, a moderate tension that allows for some flexibility and movement is recommended. It is important to regularly check and adjust the tension of the rope to ensure the safety and well-being of the monkeys.

3. Can rope tension affect the health of monkeys?

Yes, rope tension can definitely affect the health of monkeys. If the rope is too tight, it can cause injuries to the monkeys' hands, feet, and tails. It can also put excess pressure on their joints and muscles, leading to discomfort and potential long-term health issues. Additionally, if the rope is too loose, it can make it difficult for the monkeys to move and exercise, which can also have negative effects on their health.

4. How can I determine the appropriate tension for rope used with monkeys?

The best way to determine the appropriate tension for rope used with monkeys is to consult with experts in primate behavior and welfare. They can provide guidance on the specific needs and preferences of the monkeys in your care and help you determine the right tension for each individual rope.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using rope with monkeys?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when using rope with monkeys. Always regularly check the tension and condition of the rope to ensure it is safe for the monkeys to use. It is also important to use high-quality, durable rope that is suitable for the weight and strength of the monkeys. Additionally, it is important to monitor the monkeys' behavior and interactions with the rope to ensure they are using it safely and not displaying any signs of distress or injury.