Confusion regarding the concept of acceleration along a component

In summary, if you push a wedge with an angle θ and apply a force to keep the block stationary, the block will accelerate in the opposite direction - in this case, towards the negative X-Axis.
AakashPandita
Suppose we have a wedge with angle θ on which there is a block. We are pushing the wedge with the least force required to keep the block stationary. If the acceleration of wedge is A then the acceleration of the block along the inclined plane will be gsinθ+Acosθ=0. That means A is negative.

How is this possible physically that we apply a force and the body is accelerating negatively in that direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A is negative, relative to the block ( as you are calculating the acceleration of the block). As you apply the force on the wedge, the block tends to slide down,(as far as I have inferred, the sloping surface of the wedge faces the source of force) which means it accelerates in the opposite direction. Or, standing on the block, you can say the wedge is accelerating in the direction opposite to the block.

Likes 1 person
thank you for replying. please reread my post. i edited it. made my question more clear.

AakashPandita said:
How is this possible physically that we apply a force and the body is accelerating negatively in that direction?

It's not. You've either
1) been inconsistent in your convention for deciding which is the positive direction: left to right or right to left. Are you seeing the wedge accelerating right to left, while your x-axis has increasing values of x to the right? If so, both the force and the acceleration are negative (in the direction of decreasing x).
2) used the force that the block exerts on the plane, when you should have used the equal and opposite force that the plane exerts on the block.

i have taken the x-axis parallel to the incline of the wedge.

AakashPandita said:
thank you for replying. please reread my post. i edited it. made my question more clear.
AakashPandita said:
We are pushing the wedge with the least force required to keep the block stationary.
Yeah. I had considered that.
AakashPandita said:
i have taken the x-axis parallel to the incline of the wedge.
O K then...Check the equation again. Acosθ and gsinθ are in opposite direction. If one is towards the positive X-Axis direction then the other is in the negative.
The resultant acceleration must be zero.
That is,
Acosθ+(-gsinθ)=0
Acosθ=gsinθ

Likes 1 person

Related to Confusion regarding the concept of acceleration along a component

What is acceleration along a component?

Acceleration along a component refers to the change in velocity of an object along a specific direction or component. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration along a component different from acceleration?

Acceleration refers to the overall change in velocity of an object, while acceleration along a component specifically refers to the change in velocity along a specific direction or component. This means that an object can have different acceleration values along different components.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration along a component?

The formula for calculating acceleration along a component is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

How is acceleration along a component calculated in a multi-dimensional system?

In a multi-dimensional system, acceleration along a component can be calculated using vector components. This involves breaking down the acceleration vector into its x, y, and z components and calculating the acceleration along each component separately.

What are some real-world examples of acceleration along a component?

Some real-world examples of acceleration along a component include a car accelerating along a straight road, a ball rolling down a ramp, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth. In each of these cases, the object is experiencing acceleration along a specific direction or component.