Confusion regarding the coefficient of restitution

In summary, according to the first definition, e = 0 when the final relative velocity is 0. However, according to the second definition, e = √((1/2(2m)(v/2)2)/(1/2mv^2)) which is 1/√2.
parsesnip
I learned that there are two different definitions for the coefficient of restitution: e = final relative velocity / initial relative velocity and e = √(final KE/initial KE). However, I don't understand how these two definitions will always give the same value.

If one particle with mass m moving with velocity v has a perfectly inelastic collision with another particle of mass m at rest, then both will move together with the velocity v/2. According to the first definition, e = 0 as the final relative velocity is 0. However, according to the second definition, e = √((1/2(2m)(v/2)2)/(1/2mv^2)) which is 1/√2.

Also, Wikipedia says that "A perfectly inelastic collision has a coefficient of 0, but a 0 value does not have to be perfectly inelastic.". Can someone give me an example of a collision with a coefficient of 0 that is not perfectly inelastic? I thought that was the definition of perfect inelasticity.

Also shouldn't the first definition use relative speed instead of relative velocity? For example, if a particle of mass m hits a wall with velocity v, it will rebound with velocity -v, so according to this definition e should be -1.

Physics news on Phys.org
parsesnip said:
f one particle with mass m moving with velocity v has a perfectly inelastic collision with another particle of mass m at rest, then both will move together with the velocity v/2. According to the first definition, e = 0 as the final relative velocity is 0. However, according to the second definition, e = √((1/2(2m)(v/2)2)/(1/2mv^2)) which is 1/√2.
If you are measuring velocities from the frame of reference where the particles end up together at rest, it is only fair to measure kinetic energy in the same frame. In that frame, final kinetic energy is zero.

The coefficient of restitution is properly measured using energy in the center of mass frame.

Likes parsesnip
parsesnip said:
I learned that there are two different definitions for the coefficient of restitution: e = final relative velocity / initial relative velocity ...

Unless you have a definition wher e is negative, I think it is always |e| = - (final relative velocity)/(initial relative velocity)
<Edit: provided relative velocity is defined exactly the same both before and after. Most texts seem to define them in the opposite sense, which explains why they get both having the same value <edit2: sign rather than value>.>

As far as I can see, it doesn't matter whether one object is a brick wall or another small object, whether one is stationary or both moving, the relative velocity always changes sign.

<Edit: speed would not be useful for the definition, except in one dimension.>

The rest I'm still jugging with!

Last edited:
Likes parsesnip

Related to Confusion regarding the coefficient of restitution

1. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a measure of the elasticity or "bounciness" of a collision between two objects. It is defined as the ratio of the final velocity of separation to the initial velocity of approach between the two objects.

2. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution is calculated by dividing the final velocity of separation by the initial velocity of approach. This can be done using the following formula: COR = (vf / vi), where vf is the final velocity and vi is the initial velocity.

3. What is considered a high or low coefficient of restitution?

A coefficient of restitution of 1 indicates a perfectly elastic collision, where the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy. A coefficient of restitution of 0 indicates a perfectly inelastic collision, where the objects stick together after the collision. A coefficient of restitution between 0 and 1 is considered a partially elastic collision, with a higher value indicating a more elastic collision.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of a collision?

The coefficient of restitution determines how much energy is lost or conserved during a collision. A higher COR means more energy is conserved and the objects will bounce off each other with a greater velocity, while a lower COR means more energy is lost and the objects will have a smaller velocity after the collision.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be affected by factors such as the materials of the objects involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and the surface on which the objects are colliding. In general, harder and smoother surfaces tend to have a higher COR, while softer and rougher surfaces tend to have a lower COR.