Confusion over the definition of Lie Derivative of a Vector Field

In summary, the lie derivative of a vector field is a function that is differentiable on a given set, and is defined at all points p in the domain M for a given time interval (-\epsilon_p,\epsilon_p).
slevvio
Hello all, I was hoping someone would be able to clarify this issue I am having with the Lie Derivative of a vector field.

We define the lie derivative of a vector field [itex]Y[/itex] with respect to a vector field [itex]X[/itex] to be

[itex]L_X Y :=\operatorname{\frac{d}{dt}} |_{t=0} (\phi_t^*Y)[/itex], where [itex]\phi_t[/itex] is the flow of [itex]X[/itex]. Now how do I know this thing is differentiable? And also, I'm not sure why this thing is a vector field on [itex]M[/itex] because what if our flow is only defined on a smaller open set [itex] V \subseteq M[/itex], and then for [itex] p \in M\setminus V[/itex] surely [itex](L_X Y)_p[/itex] doesn't make sense as a vector in [itex]T_p M[/itex] ?

Anyway thank you, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First concern: You know that phi varies smoothly with t. Go through the definitions to discover that wrt some fixed basis d/dx^i of T_pM, [itex]((\phi_t)_*Y)(p)=\sum_ia_i(t,p)\frac{ \partial}{ \partial x^i}[/itex] with a_i(t,p) smooth in t.

Second concern: the flow of any time-independant vector field is defined at all points p of M for a certain time interval [itex](-\epsilon_p,\epsilon_p)[/itex]

Thanks for your response. I understand the 2nd concern but I still have trouble with the first. I cannot see why that statement is true. I know that [itex]\phi_t ^* Y[/itex] is a vector field, so [itex]\phi_t^* Y |_p \in T_p M[/itex] , i.e.

[itex]\phi_t^* Y |_p = \displaystyle\sum_i a_i^t (p) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i }\Big|_p[/itex] where for fixed [itex]t[/itex], [itex]p \mapsto a_i^t (p) [/itex] is smooth. But why for fixed [itex]p[/itex], is [itex] t \mapsto a_i^t(p) [/itex] smooth?

I have that [itex]\phi_t^* Y |_p (g) = Y(g \circ \phi_t ^{-1})|_{\phi_t(p)} [/itex] incidentally. Thanks for any help

You're not "going through the definitions" deep enough. What I was suggesting is for you to find an explicit expression for the a_i(t,p).

Hello I have tried to do this using the Jacobian but I am not getting anywhere at all

Hello,

I have managed to calculate that

[itex]\phi_{-t}^*\left( \displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_{\phi_t(p)} \right)= \displaystyle\sum_{i,j} \frac{\partial \phi^i}{\partial x_j}(-t, \phi_t(p)) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_p [/itex],

although in Loring Tu's book the same calculation gives

[itex]\phi_{-t}^*\left( \displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_{\phi_t(p)} \right)= \displaystyle\sum_{i,j} \frac{\partial \phi^i}{\partial x_j}(-t, p) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_p [/itex].

Which is correct, and should it matter in the argument?

Thanks for help so far.

Related to Confusion over the definition of Lie Derivative of a Vector Field

What is the Lie Derivative of a Vector Field?

The Lie Derivative of a Vector Field is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the rate of change of a vector field along another vector field. It measures how much the vector field changes as it is transported along the flow of another vector field.

How is the Lie Derivative different from the directional derivative?

The Lie Derivative is a generalization of the directional derivative, but it takes into account the change in direction of the vector field as it is transported. Unlike the directional derivative, which only considers the change in magnitude along a specific direction, the Lie Derivative considers both the change in magnitude and direction.

What is the connection between the Lie Derivative and Lie bracket?

The Lie bracket is a mathematical operation that measures the difference between two vector fields at a specific point. The Lie Derivative of a vector field is defined in terms of the Lie bracket, and it can be used to determine the change of a vector field along another vector field in a specific direction.

What are the applications of the Lie Derivative?

The Lie Derivative has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of fluid mechanics and general relativity. It is also used in differential geometry to study the symmetries of manifolds and to define the Lie group, which is a type of transformation group.

How can one calculate the Lie Derivative of a Vector Field?

The Lie Derivative can be calculated using the Lie bracket and the directional derivative. However, it can also be calculated using the Lie algebra, which consists of a set of operations used to define the Lie bracket. These operations can be used to calculate the Lie Derivative of a vector field at a specific point in space.