Confusion between waves and particles, which one is vibrating?

In summary, waves are not particles, but rather a disturbance or propagation of energy in a medium. The particles in the medium vibrate due to the energy passing through, and this vibration can be described by a wave graph, such as a sine wave. The wave itself does not contain particles, but rather causes the particles in the medium to move.
MIA6
1. A wave whose particles vibrate perpendicularly to the direction it is traveling is called transverse wave. Here is my question, in the mechanical waves, I am sort of confused with 'wave' and 'particles in the medium'? Which one is really vibrating? It is said that sine waves describe particles vibrating with simple harmonic motion. I don't know what's the relationship between wave and particles. For example, a pebble is dropped into a pond, and particles in the medium, water molecules move in vertical circles as waves pass. What's the relations betweeen water molecules and waves?
2. Is that the difference between 'pulse wave' and 'periodic wave' is one consists of only one pulse, the other one consists of many pulses, just like a sine wave?

Thanks for helping me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me with my first question?

MIA6 said:
1. A wave whose particles vibrate perpendicularly to the direction it is traveling is called transverse wave. Here is my question, in the mechanical waves, I am sort of confused with 'wave' and 'particles in the medium'? Which one is really vibrating? It is said that sine waves describe particles vibrating with simple harmonic motion. I don't know what's the relationship between wave and particles. For example, a pebble is dropped into a pond, and particles in the medium, water molecules move in vertical circles as waves pass. What's the relations betweeen water molecules and waves?
2. Is that the difference between 'pulse wave' and 'periodic wave' is one consists of only one pulse, the other one consists of many pulses, just like a sine wave?

Thanks for helping me.

Ok, I will try:

1. First, wave is not a particle(something that you can see, touch, or something that has mass). It is just prorogation of energy/ or is a disturbance created in a medium.
So, it's the particles that are vibrating. And they vibrate due to the energy that is passing through the medium.

Don't consider waves as something

:rolleyes: I can't explain more than that.

rootX said:
Ok, I will try:

1. First, wave is not a particle(something that you can see, touch, or something that has mass). It is just prorogation of energy/ or is a disturbance created in a medium.
So, it's the particles that are vibrating. And they vibrate due to the energy that is passing through the medium.

Don't consider waves as something

:rolleyes: I can't explain more than that.

Thanks. I sort of get what you said. Wave is a disturbance, and when it happens, it makes the particles around it move, and these are particles actually vibrating. So the wave graph like sine wave that we have seen describes the movement of particles? Because I always thought that sine wave describes the movement of wave, not particles. i always imagine a wave like a sine wave, a rope, and it moves up and down. So wave is just an energy that makes the particles in the medium move? But it's still hard to figure out the difference between wave and particles separately. They are like a whole thing.

Last edited:
So wave is just an energy that makes the particles in the medium move?
>yes, that's right! :PSo the wave graph like sine wave that we have seen describes the movement of particles?
>It's the movement of one particle.

A wave whose particles vibrate perpendicularly to the direction it is traveling is called transverse wave. Look at this definition, it seems that particles are included in 'wave'? like wave contains particles? As I said, it's hard to find out the boundary between wave and particles.

Related to Confusion between waves and particles, which one is vibrating?

1. What is the difference between waves and particles?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, while particles are small units of matter that make up everything in the universe.

2. How do waves and particles interact with each other?

Waves can behave as particles and particles can behave as waves, depending on the context and the experimental setup. This is known as wave-particle duality.

3. Can waves and particles both vibrate?

Yes, both waves and particles can vibrate. Waves vibrate as they travel through a medium, while particles can vibrate within themselves.

4. How can we determine if something is a wave or a particle?

This depends on the behavior of the object in question. If it exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle, it is considered to have wave-particle duality.

5. Which one is vibrating in electromagnetic radiation?

In electromagnetic radiation, such as light, both waves and particles are vibrating. The electromagnetic field is represented by a wave, while the photons (particles of light) are vibrating within that field.