Confusion between Attenuation and Intesity change

In summary, the speaker is measuring the sound level in the air and using an attenuator to adjust it to 70dB. The website provided also offers additional information on decibels and their various uses.
mitbhavsar
Dear All,
I am basically from Bio background and doing research in Insect Physiology as Phd.
Currently I am given a task to generate artificial insect songs using a software.
I did it with 3 v Noise stimuli(1.5 peak to peak) and fed it to amplifier and I heard it on Amplifier.

So now the confusion starts..
I am also given one attenuator which attenuates with the range from -90 db to 0dB.
Now I am suppose to play my song at 70 dB SPL. Does this mean that I have to attenuate my signal at 70dB.?

I mean playing song at 70 dB SPL and attenuating song by 70dB..Are both same things?
PLease help me..
Thank you in Advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The sound level in the air will depend on the transducer (loudspeaker, etc) you use to play the sound, and the distance between the transducer and the measurement position.

You need to measure the SPL, and use the attenuator to adjust it to 70dB.

Adding to AlephZero's measuring of the SPL,

http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/waves-sound/quantifying/ has some good information that may help.

e.g., these topics are from the What is a decibel? link.

Definition and examples
Sound files to show the size of a decibel
Standard reference levels ("absolute" sound level)
Logarithmic response, psychophysical measures, sones and phons
The filters used for dB(A) and dB(C)
Recording level and decibels (dBV and dBm)
Intensity, radiation and dB
Pressure, intensity and specific impedance
dBi and anisotropic radiation
Example problems using dB for amplifier gain, speaker power, hearing sensitivity etc.
Occupational health and safety and the law
Related pages
What is a logarithm? A brief introduction.

Related to Confusion between Attenuation and Intesity change

What is the difference between attenuation and intensity change?

Attenuation refers to the decrease in amplitude or magnitude of a wave as it travels through a medium. Intensity change, on the other hand, refers to the change in the amount of energy carried by the wave. Attenuation can result in intensity change, but intensity change can also occur without attenuation in cases such as refraction.

How do attenuation and intensity change affect sound waves?

Attenuation can cause a decrease in the loudness of sound as it travels through a medium. Intensity change can also impact the loudness of sound, as a decrease in energy can result in a decrease in perceived loudness. However, other factors such as distance and environmental conditions can also affect the intensity of sound.

What is the relationship between attenuation and intensity change?

Attenuation and intensity change are closely related, as attenuation can lead to intensity change. However, it is important to note that intensity change can also occur without attenuation, as seen in cases of refraction or diffraction.

How is attenuation measured?

Attenuation is typically measured in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic unit that compares the intensity of a sound wave at two different points. The amount of attenuation can be calculated by finding the difference in decibels between the two points.

What factors can affect the amount of attenuation and intensity change in a wave?

The amount of attenuation and intensity change in a wave can be affected by various factors, including the medium through which the wave is traveling, the distance the wave has traveled, and the frequency of the wave. These factors can impact the amount of energy that is lost or changed as the wave travels.