Confusion about tension and pulleys

In summary, tension in the rope around a pulley produces a torque that causes the pulley to turn. This is due to the static friction between the rope and pulley, which allows the pulley to move with the rope. The tension is the same in both pieces of rope, but if the pulley has mass, the tensions must be different to rotate the pulley with angular acceleration. The frictional force between the string and pulley is what ultimately causes the pulley to rotate when the string moves.
hgfhh123

Homework Statement

I am a little confused about the concept of tension as it relates to pulleys. I am studying torque right now, and it says in the textbook that the tension in the rope around a pulley produces a torque that causes the pulley to turn. I don't fully understand this. I thought that tension was a pair of opposing forces that acted throughout the rope at each point in the rope. However, I don't understand how the same force would cause the pulley to turn. Since there is no friction between the rope and pulley, I don't understand why the pulley would turn in the first place.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hgfhh123 said:

Homework Statement

I am a little confused about the concept of tension as it relates to pulleys. I am studying torque right now, and it says in the textbook that the tension in the rope around a pulley produces a torque that causes the pulley to turn. I don't fully understand this. I thought that tension was a pair of opposing forces that acted throughout the rope at each point in the rope. However, I don't understand how the same force would cause the pulley to turn. Since there is no friction between the rope and pulley, I don't understand why the pulley would turn in the first place.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is static friction between the rope and pulley. That makes the pulley move together with the rope. The two pieces of the rope exert torques RTa and RTb on the pulley at points A and B. (R is the radius of the pulley). If the pulley is massless zero torque is enough to rotate it with a certain angular acceleration, so the tension is the same in both pieces of the rope. If the pulley has got I moment of inertia, the tensions Ta and Tb must be different to rotate the pulley with angular acceleration α: α=R(Tb-Ta)/I.

ehild

Attachments

• pulleytension.JPG
    pulleytension.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 458
Its the frictional force between the string and pulley that cause the pulley to rotate when the string moves..

Related to Confusion about tension and pulleys

1. What is tension in relation to pulleys?

Tension refers to the force applied to an object or system through a rope, cable, or similar object. In the context of pulleys, tension is the force that is transmitted through the rope or cable connecting the pulleys.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect tension?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the tension in the rope or cable. The tension remains constant throughout the entire rope or cable, regardless of the number of pulleys used.

3. Is tension different on either side of a pulley?

No, the tension in the rope or cable is the same on both sides of a pulley. This is because the rope or cable is continuous and transmits the same force throughout its length.

4. Can the direction of tension change in a pulley system?

Yes, the direction of tension can change in a pulley system depending on the direction in which the force is applied. The tension will always be in the direction of the force applied to the rope or cable.

5. How do I calculate tension in a pulley system?

To calculate tension in a pulley system, you can use the formula T = F/d, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and d is the distance between the pulleys. You can also use the principle of conservation of energy to calculate tension in more complex pulley systems.