Confusion about standing waves and harmonics - organ pipes etc.?

In summary, the length of the medium in harmonics is constant while only the frequency changes. This applies to both string and organ pipes, where different numbers of waves can be fit into the same length. This may cause confusion, but it is a fundamental concept to understand in physics.
Kratos321
ok so i have a major confusion and its really getting to me. So from what i understand of harmonics, the length of the medium is always fixed and only the frequency changes. Is this right? Then why, on organ pipes for example.Assume open open configuration. Say I play a middle tone note C, wouldn't the fundamental frequency length be half the length of the wave. The 2nd harmonic would be 2 times that and the third harmonic would be 3 times the fundamental frequency wave length and so on?

so why is it changing? shouldn't the length be the same and only the frequency change? I am so confused pls help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Kratos321! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It's the same as for a string …

the length of the medium is the same, but we can fit different numbers of waves into the same length :wink:

Related to Confusion about standing waves and harmonics - organ pipes etc.?

What are standing waves and harmonics?

Standing waves are a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. Harmonics refer to the different frequencies or pitches that can be produced by a standing wave.

How do standing waves and harmonics relate to organ pipes?

Organ pipes are designed to produce specific standing waves and harmonics by controlling the length and shape of the pipe. When air is blown through the pipe, it creates a standing wave that resonates at a specific frequency, producing a specific pitch. Different lengths and shapes of pipes produce different harmonics and therefore different pitches.

Why is there confusion about standing waves and harmonics in relation to organ pipes?

Confusion may arise because organ pipes can produce multiple harmonics simultaneously, creating a complex sound. Additionally, the concept of standing waves and harmonics can be difficult to understand without a strong background in physics or acoustics.

How do standing waves and harmonics affect the sound of an organ pipe?

Standing waves and harmonics determine the pitch and timbre of the sound produced by an organ pipe. The fundamental frequency, or first harmonic, determines the pitch, while the higher harmonics contribute to the overall quality and richness of the sound.

Can standing waves and harmonics be observed in other musical instruments besides organ pipes?

Yes, standing waves and harmonics are present in all musical instruments. In string instruments, the length and tension of the string determines the standing wave and the pitch produced. In wind instruments, the length and shape of the air column, as well as the player's embouchure and breath control, affect the standing waves and harmonics produced.