Confusion about EM Transmission coefficient - critical angle

In summary, the reflection coefficient (R) for an EM wave has a value of 1 for total reflection and -1 for total reflection with a phase change of 180º. The transmission coefficient (T) is given by T = R + 1 or T = 1 - R. However, this seems to suggest that if R is 1, then T would be 2, which may not make sense. T + R = 1 and T = 1 - R when R is the unsigned magnitude of the reflection coefficient. Positive and negative values of R are useful in determining the cause of reflection, but only the unsigned value should be added or subtracted from T. The equation T = R + 1 is based
ThiagoEMag
Hi,

The reflection coefficient (R) of an EM wave is, as far as I know, 1 if there is total reflection and -1 if there is total reflection AND the phase changes by 180º.

However, we also know that the transmission coefficient is given by T = R + 1 (or by its own formula, which should give the same result)

That seems to mean that if the R is one (total reflection), T would be two. How can that be possible? I have a situation in which I did the calculations and that's the result I got, but it doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't T be always 0 when there is total reflection, or did I misunderstand its meaning?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know T + R = 1 and T = 1 – R where R is the unsigned magnitude of the reflection coefficient.

Positive and negative values of R are useful in determining whether the reflection is caused by an open or short or some other impedance value, but only the unsigned value of R should be added or subtracted from T.

I believe you get T=R+1 from the continuity of the fields at the boundary. If so this implies that both T and R in that equation are actually the fields coefficient, that is the fraction of the field amplitude plus the phase change that is being transmitted and reflected, respectively. Since T and R are the fields coefficients, they can be complex, that's why you said there are cases where R=-1, this corresponds to the phase of 180 degree. In other words, one cannot say too much about the conservation of energy if one stays with this equation.
In your notation, the equation for energy conservation should be ##|T|^2+|R|^2=1##, which is the equation Tom_K wrote above in a different notation.

Last edited:

Related to Confusion about EM Transmission coefficient - critical angle

1. What is the transmission coefficient in electromagnetic (EM) waves?

The transmission coefficient in EM waves is a measure of how much energy is transmitted through a boundary between two different materials. It is expressed as a ratio of the transmitted energy to the incident energy and is dependent on the properties of both materials.

2. How does the transmission coefficient change at the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the transmission coefficient drops to zero and all incident energy is reflected. This occurs when the refractive index of the material that the EM wave is traveling through changes abruptly, such as at a boundary between two materials with different refractive indices.

3. What causes confusion about the transmission coefficient at the critical angle?

Many people are confused about the transmission coefficient at the critical angle because it is often assumed that the coefficient should be equal to one at this angle, indicating full transmission. However, this is not the case and the transmission coefficient actually drops to zero at the critical angle.

4. How does the critical angle affect the behavior of EM waves?

The critical angle plays a crucial role in the behavior of EM waves at boundaries between materials. At angles greater than the critical angle, the EM wave is completely reflected and unable to pass through the boundary. This is known as total internal reflection and is used in applications such as optical fibers.

5. Is the transmission coefficient the same for all types of EM waves?

No, the transmission coefficient can vary depending on the type of EM wave being transmitted and the properties of the materials it is passing through. For example, the transmission coefficient for visible light may be different than that of radio waves or microwaves.