Confusion about eigenvalues of an operator

In summary, in a complex vector space of dimension n with operator T and vector v, a list of vectors (v, Tv, T^2v, ..., T^mv) is formed where m>n. Due to this inequality, the vectors in the list must be linearly dependent and satisfy the equation 0=a_0v+a_1Tv+a_2T^2v+...+a_mT^mv with nonzero coefficients. However, this contradicts the fact that T is an operator in a vector space of dimension n<m. The mistake lies in concluding that T has more than n eigenvalues, which is not necessarily true. The eigenvalues of T will always
maNoFchangE
Suppose ##V## is a complex vector space of dimension ##n## and ##T## an operator in it. Furthermore, suppose ##v\in V##. Then I form a list of vectors in ##V##, ##(v,Tv,T^2v,\ldots,T^mv)## where ##m>n##. Due to the last inequality, the vectors in that list must be linearly dependent. This implies that the equation
$$
0=a_0v+a_1Tv+a_2T^2v+\ldots+a_mT^mv
$$
are satisfied by some nonzero coefficients. For a particular case, assume that the above equation is satisfied by some choice of coefficients where all of them are nonzero.
Now since the equation above forms a polynomial, I can write the factorized form
$$
0=A(T-\mu_1)\ldots(T-\mu_m)v
$$
The last equation suggests that ##T## has ##m## eigenvalues. But this contradicts the fact that ##T## is an operator in a vector space of dimension ##n<m##. Where is my mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##T## is an operator whereas ##\mu_i## is a scalar. Instead you should write ##T-\mu_iI_n##.

Suppose ##m=n+1##, and take ##\mu_1, \ldots, \mu_n## to be the eigenvalues of ##T##. Then clearly the final equation holds for an arbitrary choice of ##\mu_{n+1}##. So your mistake is in concluding that ##T## must have more than ##n## eigenvalues, which is a non sequitur.

suremarc said:
Suppose ##m=n+1##, and take ##\mu_1, \ldots, \mu_n## to be the eigenvalues of ##T##. Then clearly the final equation holds for an arbitrary choice of ##\mu_{n+1}##. So your mistake is in concluding that ##T## must have more than ##n## eigenvalues, which is a non sequitur.
Why does it have to be ##m=n+1##? I can take ##m## any value I want such that it is bigger than ##n##.

maNoFchangE said:
Why does it have to be ##m=n+1##? I can take ##m## any value I want such that it is bigger than ##n##.
Indeed, you can--I was simply providing a counterexample to get you started.
The eigenvalues of ##T## will always be contained in some proper subset of ##\{\mu_1,\ldots,\mu_m\}##, so at least 1 of the choices for ##\mu_i## will be arbitrary.

maNoFchangE said:
$$
0=A(T-\mu_1)\ldots(T-\mu_m)v
$$
The last equation suggests that ##T## has ##m## eigenvalues.
No it doesn't. From the equation above it does not follow that
$$(T-\mu_i)v=0$$

Related to Confusion about eigenvalues of an operator

1. What is an eigenvalue of an operator?

An eigenvalue of an operator is a special value that the operator can multiply a vector by, such that the resulting vector is parallel to the original vector.

2. How are eigenvalues related to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by an operator's eigenvalue, results in a parallel vector. In other words, an eigenvector is the direction in which the operator's transformation is the same as a scalar multiplication.

3. Can an operator have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, an operator can have multiple eigenvalues. In fact, most operators have multiple eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. However, there are some operators that only have one eigenvalue, such as the identity operator.

4. How do eigenvalues and eigenvectors relate to matrix diagonalization?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are essential in the process of matrix diagonalization. Diagonalization is the process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix. The diagonal elements of the diagonal matrix are the eigenvalues of the original matrix, and the corresponding columns of the similarity matrix are the eigenvectors.

5. What is the importance of eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, eigenvalues play a crucial role in determining the possible outcomes of a measurement on a quantum system. The eigenvalues of an operator represent the possible values that can be measured, and the corresponding eigenvectors represent the states in which the system can exist. The probability of obtaining a specific measurement result is determined by the square of the projection of the system's initial state onto the corresponding eigenvector.