The Recent Growth in Popularity of Pabst Blue Ribbon

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the conversation touched on the popularity of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) among hipsters, as well as its affordable price and association with the rock and roll scene. Some participants shared their personal experiences with PBR and other cheap beers, while others discussed their preferences for different types of alcohol. The conversation also briefly mentioned the worst beer ever and the entertainment value of boxed wine.
eNtRopY
Well, what do you expect the hipsters to drink when they put on their Levis and trucker hats and go to faux dive bars?

The only thing that suprises me is that Major League Baseball hasn't yet benefited from the new classic American fad.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does PBR still have the wonderful blue foil around the neck of the bottle? Otherwise, it's just plain beer.

PBR sucks!

Thanks for listening.

PBR was popular at the rock club near me, when I used to set out afoot for a nice quiet drink (heh! heh!) and slough back home after 2:30 AM. (Alas, they closed down and I don't go out nights any more) PBR was popular because it was the cheap tap. I drank tall can after tall can of something else, I forget what. Cans are easier for controlling spillage while rocking out.

If you're looking to get smashed $6.99 for a case is the way to go.

I personally won't drink cheep beers. Although in high school I drank Steel Reverse and even Pabst on occasion. Now Rolling Rock is as cheap as I'll go.

It's ghetto fabulous!

I noticed this when I was in Chicago last year... hipsters in their thick-rimmed glasses drinking PBR and discussing Yo La Tengo. Ah...

Man, we used to buy gallons of the stuff...what a way to waste your youth, huh?

pffft... If you are going to get bad tasting, cheap beer, Steel Reserve is the only way to go. A 40 gets you lit up.

Originally posted by RageSk8
pffft... If you are going to get bad tasting, cheap beer, Steel Reserve is the only way to go. A 40 gets you lit up.

If you're going to drink 40s, then have no business drinking anything but Colt 45 (also made by the Pabst Company) out of a paper bag. Well, I suppose a Mickey's would be acceptable.

eNtRopY

To accompany that bilge, one needs a big, fat super burrito that makes one fart like a chemical WMD.

Good grief! Have I come to this pass? :(

WORST BEER EVER

The absolute worst tasting beer I've ever had was Salty Dog, and believe me, there was no contest. I was in a motel in Bangor, Maine -- where they brew the sh:t -- and the girl I traveling with spilled some on the bathroom countertop. This beer permanently stained the linoleum countertop -- almost like a woodstain! We laughed so hard in disbelieve! I am not exaggerating.

eNtRopY

Or for the more refined hillbilly, you can opt for the trusty Box O' Wine. Now THAT's entertainment;)

The worst beer I ever had I can't even remember the name of, but it was *gag* chocolate beer. It was new years, my friends couldn't get anyone to down it, and after about half a 5th of barcardi 151, I was persuaded into it. Now, imagine that much 151 topped with a nice salty chocolate tasting beer. I don't think that stuff even made it down to my stomach before it made a return appearance. I can't remember most of that night with clarity, but I DO clearly remember how nasty that beer was

1. What is Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) is a brand of beer that was first introduced in 1844 by the Pabst Brewing Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It is a pale lager beer with an alcohol by volume (ABV) of 4.8%.

2. Why has PBR experienced a recent growth in popularity?

PBR has experienced a recent growth in popularity due to its widespread availability, affordability, and its association with the hipster subculture. It also won a gold medal at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893, which has contributed to its reputation as a quality beer.

3. What is the hipster subculture and how does it relate to PBR's popularity?

The hipster subculture is a group of people who value independent thinking, counter-culture, and non-mainstream fashion and music. PBR has become associated with this subculture as it is seen as a low-key, non-mainstream beer choice that goes against the mainstream options.

4. Is PBR a high-quality beer?

PBR has won numerous awards and accolades, including a gold medal at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893 and a blue ribbon at the 1898 National Export Exposition. However, taste is subjective and what one person considers to be high-quality may differ from another's opinion.

5. What other factors contribute to PBR's popularity?

In addition to affordability and association with the hipster subculture, PBR's popularity is also influenced by its marketing strategies, use of social media, and its availability in various sizes, such as tallboys and 40-ounce bottles. The company also sponsors various events and festivals, further increasing its visibility and appeal.