Confusing ROTATIONAL RIGID BODY QUESTION problem conceptualizing

In summary, a cloth is wrapped around a cylinder of mass 67.5 kg and radius 0.167 m. As the cylinder is released from rest and the cloth is pulled upward by Joe to prevent it from falling, the tension in the tape can be found by applying Newton's 2nd law. The cloth exerts a torque on the cylinder and keeps its center of mass from moving. To find the length of the cloth that has been unwound when the cylinder reaches an angular speed of 28.3 rad/s, you can use the work done and Newton's 2nd law for rotation. The tension and work done can be used to find the distance.
avenkat0

Homework Statement

A piece of cloth with irrelavent mass is wrapped around a 67.5 kg cylinder of radius 0.167 m. Joe holds the free end of the cloth. The cylinder is released from rest, and Joe pulls the tape upward at a speed that just prevents the center of mass of the cylinder from falling as the tape unwinds. Assume:
- the cylinder is always parallel to the floor
- the tape is always perpendicular to the radius of the cylinder
- the tape does not slip over the cylinder

a) Find the magnitude of the tension in the tape as the cylinder turns.

Homework Equations

29bac02573ea5d0bbf08a7506e4e9b37.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start... I don't think i quite understand it conceptually... like i don't quite see the picture in my head

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the cloth isn't pulled up, it will just unwind as the cylinder falls. (Imagine a heavy log rolled up in a carpet and you let it unwind.)

To answer the question, apply Newton's 2nd law. What forces act on the cylinder?

is it kind of like the logs that are floating on the water while people run on it... thus in turn staying in the same place?...
so the cloth is giving the cylinder a torque to equal its fall? making the center of mass stay at the same place?

avenkat0 said:
is it kind of like the logs that are floating on the water while people run on it... thus in turn staying in the same place?...
Something like that.
so the cloth is giving the cylinder a torque to equal its fall?
The cloth is certainly exerting a torque on the cylinder.
making the center of mass stay at the same place?
Yes, the cloth is being pulled up fast enough that the center of mass doesn't move.

should the tension in the cloth equal mg down since the tension keeps it from falling down?
I keep confusing linear qualities with rotational qualities!...

avenkat0 said:
should the tension in the cloth equal mg down since the tension keeps it from falling down?
Sounds good to me.

Thank you so much... One more thing...
c) Find the length of the cloth that has been unwound when the cylinder reaches an angular speed of 28.3 rad/s

I found the work done was 376.92 J...
Now i set Delta Theta = 376.92/Tourque...
i.e 376.92/I(alpha)
but how would i go about finding alpha?

because if i find alpha can't i find Theta and then 2pi (Theta) should be the length the cloth unwinds right?

To find alpha, use Newton's 2nd law for rotation. Then you can use kinematics to find theta and then the length. (No, 2pi(theta) is not the length.)

But if you've already found the work done, there's no need to find alpha or theta.

hmmm work done is torque(distance)... But I don't have the tension either how would I go about findig the distance?

I tried using I(alpha)=torque and then omega final and omegia0 is 0 but I'm missing theta time and alpha so I wasn't able to find alpha using kibematics...

Have I overlooked something??

Again Thank you

avenkat0 said:
hmmm work done is torque(distance)...
Careful. Work is force*distance (or torque*angle).
But I don't have the tension either how would I go about findig the distance?
Sure you have the tension. That was the first thing you solved for.
I tried using I(alpha)=torque and then omega final and omegia0 is 0 but I'm missing theta time and alpha so I wasn't able to find alpha using kibematics...
Look for a kinematic formula that relates speed and distance, not time.

Related to Confusing ROTATIONAL RIGID BODY QUESTION problem conceptualizing

1. What is a rotational rigid body?

A rotational rigid body is a physical object that maintains its shape and size while rotating around a fixed axis. This means that all points on the object move in circular motion with the same angular velocity.

2. What is a fixed axis?

A fixed axis is an imaginary line around which a rotational rigid body rotates. It is an axis that does not move or change direction as the body rotates.

3. How do I conceptualize a rotational rigid body problem?

To conceptualize a rotational rigid body problem, it is helpful to visualize the object rotating around a fixed axis and to consider the forces acting on the object, such as torque and angular momentum. It is also important to understand the relationship between linear and angular motion.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion refers to movement in a straight line, while angular motion refers to movement around a fixed axis. Linear motion is described in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while angular motion is described in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

5. How do I solve a confusing rotational rigid body problem?

To solve a confusing rotational rigid body problem, it is important to break it down into smaller parts and consider the forces acting on each part. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams and use mathematical equations, such as the rotational analogues of Newton's laws of motion. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or fellow scientist can aid in understanding the problem.