The little fly with excellent hearing.

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hearing
In summary, scientists have discovered a species of fly called Ormia ochracea that has the hearing precision of an owl, despite its small size. This is due to a tiny "bridge" between its two ear-drums, allowing it to dampen sound in one ear by sending vibrations to the other.
Mentat
I have just read an article about a species of fly (I wish I could remember the name of the fly, but I can't ("Omri something-or-other")) that have the hearing precision of an owl (it is said to be able to pin-point an object (through hearing) with a precision that is within two compass degrees). What makes the fly interesting, though, is that it can do this in spite of being so small. You see, usually stereophonic hearing is attributed to the distance between the two ear-drums. However, there is very little distance between this kind of fly's two ear-drums.

Well, scientists have discovered that there is a very tiny "bridge" between the two ear-drums of the fly. Thus, when it hears something in one ear, it sends a vibration (across the "bridge") to the other ear-drum, and the vibration dampens the sound that comes into the other ear.

Just thought I'd share that, and any faults/questions/comments/updates are welcome.

Biology news on Phys.org
The article from Nature:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:OsjAbgeBqecC:www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf%3Ffile%3D/nature/journal/v410/n6829/full/410644a0_r.html+fly+ear&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 [Broken]

amazing how one can steal an article w/ google :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Mentat
(I wish I could remember the name of the fly, but I can't ("Omri something-or-other"))
You are almost right: Ormia ochracea

1. What makes the little fly's hearing so excellent?

The little fly has tiny hairs on its antennae that vibrate in response to sound waves. These hairs are connected to neurons that send signals to the fly's brain, allowing it to detect and process sounds with great precision.

2. How sensitive is the little fly's hearing?

The little fly's hearing is incredibly sensitive, with the ability to detect sounds as low as 20 Hz and as high as 100 kHz. This is much wider range than most other insects and even some mammals.

3. What advantage does the little fly gain from its excellent hearing?

The little fly uses its hearing to navigate its environment, locate food sources, and communicate with other flies. Its ability to hear a wide range of frequencies also helps it avoid predators and detect potential mates.

4. Can the little fly's hearing be damaged by loud noises?

Yes, just like humans, the little fly's hearing can be damaged by loud noises. Exposure to intense sounds can cause damage to its tiny hairs and neurons, leading to hearing loss or impairment.

5. Are there any other insects with similar hearing abilities?

Yes, there are other insects such as crickets, grasshoppers, and katydids that have similar hearing abilities to the little fly. However, the little fly's hearing is considered to be one of the most advanced and sensitive among insects.