Confused with inclined plane and work done by gravity

In summary, the angle between the force doing work and the displacement is not 0 degrees. The work done by gravity is the same in all cases.
nothingsus

Homework Statement

4XZMUkA.png

Homework Equations

W_g = mgdcos(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the angle between the force doing work (x component of F_g) and the displacement (down the hill) is 0 degrees. aka phi is 0 degrees. This is true for (a), (b) and (c).

so since cos(0) = 1, the work done by gravity is just mgd. d is greatest for (c), then (b) then (a), so W_g is greatest for (c) then (b) then (a)

However the answers say that work done by gravity is same in all cases.

The textbook says work is generally path dependent, however when only conservative forces (like gravity) are acting, work is not path dependent. So I have a flaw in my understanding somewhere.

potential gravitational energy = mgh, and height is the same in all cases. Can someone explain how this all works?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothingsus said:
So the angle between the force doing work (x component of F_g) and the displacement (down the hill) is 0 degrees. aka phi is 0 degrees. This is true for (a), (b) and (c).
This is not correct. Consider when the pig is midway along slide (c). In what direction is Fg pointing? In what direction is the displacement d?

DrClaude said:
This is not correct. Consider when the pig is midway along slide (c). In what direction is Fg pointing? In what direction is the displacement d?

F_g is straight down (x component is still down the hill) and displacement is up the ramp? So the angle isn't 0 degrees anymore?

nothingsus said:
F_g is straight down (x component is still down the hill) and displacement is up the ramp?
Not exactly "up" the ramp, belong along it.

nothingsus said:
So the angle isn't 0 degrees anymore?
Yes. To find the total work done by gravity, you would have to integrate over the entire path, with the angle φ not constant but varying with position depending on the exact shape of the slide.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
Not exactly "up" the ramp, belong along it.Yes. To find the total work, you would have to integrate over the entire path, with the angle φ not constant but varying with position depending on the exact shape of the slide.
Not the total work was asked but the work of gravity. What do you think about the gravitational force? Is it conservative?

nothingsus said:

Homework Statement

4XZMUkA.png

Homework Equations

W_g = mgdcos(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the angle between the force doing work (x component of F_g) and the displacement (down the hill) is 0 degrees.
You should know the meaning of the notations you use. So what is phi in the formula for work?

ehild said:
Not the total work was asked but the work of gravity.
o:) Yes, that's what I meant. I'll correct my post.

DrClaude said:
o:) Yes, that's what I meant. I'll correct my post.
Is the force of gravity conservative? What do you know about the work done by a conservative force?

Related to Confused with inclined plane and work done by gravity

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, typically with one end higher than the other. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one height to another.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by spreading out the force needed to move an object over a longer distance. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to move it from one height to another.

3. What is the difference between an inclined plane and a ramp?

An inclined plane and a ramp are essentially the same thing. The term "ramp" is often used to describe an inclined plane that is used for vehicles or wheeled objects, while an inclined plane can refer to any type of tilted surface used to move an object.

4. How is work done by gravity related to an inclined plane?

Work done by gravity is related to an inclined plane because gravity is the force that pulls an object down the incline. As the object moves down the incline, gravity is doing work on it by exerting a force in the direction of motion.

5. What is the formula for calculating work done by gravity on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating work done by gravity on an inclined plane is W = mgh, where W is work, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the starting and ending points of the object on the incline.