Confused? Wave Function Direction Explained

In summary, the conversation is about determining the direction of wave functions y(x,t)= sin(kx-wt), y(x,t)=sin(kx+wt), y(x,t)=cos(kx-wt), and y(x,t)=cos(kx+wt). The professor states that y(x,t)=sin(wt-kx) travels to the right (+x direction) while the other book suggests it moves to the left (-x direction). To understand for themselves, the individual is advised to pick a constant amplitude value and see how it moves. By solving for x, it can be concluded that if t increases, then x increases, indicating a rightward movement.
chemic_23

Homework Statement

im quite confused of describing whether these wave functions y(x,t)= sin(kx-wt) ; y(x,t)=sin(kx+wt) ; y(x,t)=cos(kx-wt) ; y(x,t)=cos(kx+wt) travel to the right or to the left.

My prof told me that y(x,t)=sin(wt-kx) travels to the right (+x direction) but based on my other book, it's moving to the left (-x direction) pls can someone explain it to me? pls thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Find out for yourself. Pick a fixed constant amplitude value on the wave, say c=sin(wt-kx) and see how it moves. The sin is constant if wt-kx is some constant, say b. So b=wt-kx. Now solve for x, so x=(wt-b)/k. I would say that means if t increases, then x increases (presuming w>0 and k>0). So I would say, 'right moving'.

The direction of wave function depends on the sign of the wave number (k) and the angular frequency (w). In general, the wave function y(x,t)=Acos(kx-wt) or y(x,t)=Asin(kx-wt) will travel in the positive x direction if k>0 and w>0. This is because the wave is moving in the positive direction of the x-axis and the time variable t is also increasing, causing the wave to travel to the right.

On the other hand, if k<0 and w>0, the wave function will travel in the negative x direction, as the negative value of k indicates a wave moving in the negative direction of the x-axis. Similarly, if k>0 and w<0, the wave will travel in the negative x direction as the negative w value indicates a wave moving in the negative direction of the time variable.

In the case of y(x,t)=sin(wt-kx), the wave number is negative (k<0) and the angular frequency is positive (w>0), causing the wave to travel in the negative x direction. It is important to note that the direction of the wave function is always relative to the direction of the x-axis. So, while the wave may be moving in the negative x direction, it is actually traveling in the positive direction of the time variable.

I hope this helps to clarify the confusion. It is always important to check the signs of k and w to determine the direction of the wave function. Additionally, different sources may use different conventions, so it is always best to clarify with your professor for the specific convention being used in your class.

Related to Confused? Wave Function Direction Explained

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a physical system. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state, and how it evolves over time.

2. How does a wave function become confused?

A wave function becomes confused when there are multiple possible outcomes or states for a particle. This can happen when the particle is in a superposition of states, meaning it exists in multiple states simultaneously.

3. How is direction related to a wave function?

Direction is related to a wave function through the concept of wave interference. The direction of a wave function determines how it will interact with other wave functions, creating patterns of reinforcement or cancellation.

4. What is the role of observation in wave function direction?

The role of observation in wave function direction is to collapse the wave function and determine the outcome of a measurement. The act of observing forces the wave function to choose a specific state, eliminating the confusion and determining the direction of the wave function.

5. Can the direction of a wave function be predicted?

No, the direction of a wave function cannot be predicted with certainty. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Therefore, the direction of a wave function can only be determined through observation.