Confused - Pressure in a canister?

In summary, the manufacturer quotes a standard CO2 canister containing 16g of CO2 at a volume of 20cm^3. Using the ideal gas law, the calculated pressure in the canister is 444 Bar at room temperature. However, the manufacturer quotes the canister pressure to be 60Bar, which may be the vapor pressure at a given temperature. It is also possible that the CO2 is not all in gas form under pressure. There may be another equation to calculate the pressure, but the current solution seems to be correct.
b.kiddo44
A manufacturer quotes a standard CO2 canister contains 16g of CO2 at a volume of 20cm^3.

So I need to calculate the pressure in the canister...

Using ideal gas law

P = nRT/V
n = 0.364mol (16 of co2)
R = 8.314 J/Kmol (universal gas constant)
T = 294k (gas is at room temp 21 deg C)
V = 20cm3 (volume of canister as quoted)

P = 444 Bar

However the manufacturer quotes the canister pressure to be 60Bar! This seems a bit more realistic to me but I've no idea how this could be the case.

Any thoughts to clear up the confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its must be cubic meter.Convert 20 cm3 to meter3

Good point, but I already did the conversion to m^3 in the calculation to give 444Bar.

I don't know chemical very well but maybe there's another formula to calculate pressure.Maybe CO2 supposed to be non-idel gas.
Your equation seems correct.

hum, I don't think it matters if the gas is 'ideal' or not. The manufacturer quoting 16g of CO2 in a 20cm^3 canister stored at room temperature. I'm confused as to where the 60 Bar quote comes from.

Perhaps the CO2 is not all a gas under pressure and the pressure is the vapor pressure at a given temperature.

You wrote it isn't it ?

Theres only two option.First option this is not an idel gas.Ideal gas make the equation simpler but maybe there's another type of equation which I said before.
Second think As you said its not 60 bar

Theres no other option cause our solution is correct.

Related to Confused - Pressure in a canister?

1. What causes pressure in a canister to increase?

Pressure in a canister can increase due to temperature changes, chemical reactions, or physical forces such as shaking or compression.

2. How does pressure affect the contents of a canister?

Pressure can affect the contents of a canister by changing their physical state, such as causing a liquid to turn into a gas, or by forcing them out of the canister when opened.

3. How can I safely release pressure from a canister?

To safely release pressure from a canister, you can slowly and carefully open the canister's lid or valve, or use a pressure release mechanism specifically designed for the canister. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and handle the canister with caution.

4. What happens if a canister's pressure becomes too high?

If a canister's pressure becomes too high, it can potentially explode or rupture, causing harm to those nearby. It is important to handle and store canisters properly to prevent this from happening.

5. Can pressure in a canister be measured?

Yes, pressure in a canister can be measured using a pressure gauge or by monitoring the canister's internal temperature. This can help ensure the canister is operating within safe levels and prevent potential accidents.