Confused on recieving just one K value for elongation and oscilliation

In summary, The student is confused about receiving just one K value for elongation and oscillation in a lab experiment where they placed 5 different masses on a spring and calculated its initial and final position. They used the slope and Hooke's law to find the K constant, but got slightly different values for each mass. They wonder if they are supposed to just use one K value or average them, and are unsure how to select a point on the trendline using Excel.
Crusaderking1
Confused on receiving just one K value for elongation and oscillation

Homework Statement

Ok. For lab, I had to place 5 different masses on a spring and calculate its initial and final position. I did this with a small, medium and large spring.

Then after I gathered my values, I made a graph, and fit a trendline through it.

The book says to use the slope and Hooke's law to find the K constant. However, when I use the slope and equation, I get very slightly different K constant values for the different masses on the same string. (like 4.311 for 0.05kg, and 4.317 for 0.06 kg).

How am I suppose to get just one K constant using the slope and equation? The book probably would have told me to average the K values if I was meant to get more than one.

Same scenario applies for the oscillation of the spring.

What should I do? Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The spring constant probably did not change. It was an experiment! There is going to be error (your numbers were still pretty close).

Spinnor said:
The spring constant probably did not change. It was an experiment! There is going to be error (your numbers were still pretty close).

Yes, I see your point.

I am suppose to use the slope to find one k value. I suppose that the trendline is suppose to provide values of the line that all equal the "average k", which I think I need.

However, I do not know how to choose a point on the trendline using excel(not a point used to find the trendline).

I think that's what I need, since I can plug that y-value and x-value into the equation F=k(y-yo), which will give me the one k value I need. I just don't know how to select a point on the trendline.

Related to Confused on recieving just one K value for elongation and oscilliation

1. What is the significance of receiving just one K value for elongation and oscillation?

The K value represents the stiffness or flexibility of a material. Receiving just one K value for both elongation and oscillation means that the material has the same level of stiffness or flexibility in both types of movement.

2. How is the K value determined for a material?

The K value is determined through experiments that measure the force required to stretch or compress a material by a certain amount. This force is divided by the amount of stretch or compression to calculate the K value.

3. Can the K value change for a material?

Yes, the K value can change for a material depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and strain rate. These factors can affect the stiffness or flexibility of a material and therefore change its K value.

4. What does a high or low K value indicate?

A high K value indicates that a material is stiff and requires a large force to stretch or compress it. A low K value indicates that a material is flexible and can easily stretch or compress with a small force.

5. How is the K value used in engineering and design?

The K value is used in engineering and design to understand and predict how a material will behave under different loads and conditions. It can also help in selecting the most suitable material for a specific application based on its stiffness or flexibility requirements.