Confused - Materials question regarding c/a ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the c/a ratio for Beryllium using its atomic weight, atomic radius, and density. The working steps are shown, but there is confusion about the presence of two 2r terms and the (c/a) ratio. The solution is explained as using the equation a^2c = a^3 * (c/a) and substituting in the values for the atomic radius. The conversation ends with the confirmation of the solution.
Rajveer97
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums
Hi everyone, first time poster here, I'm studying for a Materials exam, one of my weakest subjects and this question is causing me a lot of pain:

Beryllium (Be) is a HCP metal with an atomic weight of 9 g mol-1 , an atomic radius of 0.112nm and a density of 1850 kg m-3 . Calculate its c/a ratio given that Avogadro’s number is 6.02×1023 mole-1 .

Here's the working after some basic steps
upload_2016-7-7_17-6-34.png

The thing that I don't understand is how this
upload_2016-7-7_17-7-56.png

becomes this
upload_2016-7-7_17-7-31.png

How are there two 2r there now? Where is the (c/a) coming from? I just can think through that, how does one get to that? Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm really stuck!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
as far as I see
$$a^2c=a^3\cdot \frac{c}{a}=\left ( 2r \right )^3\cdot \frac{c}{a}$$

Likes Rajveer97
Irene Kaminkowa said:
Hi,
as far as I see
$$a^2c=a^3\cdot \frac{c}{a}=\left ( 2r \right )^3\cdot \frac{c}{a}$$

That seems to be the only possible answer, thanks! :)

Related to Confused - Materials question regarding c/a ratio

1. What is the c/a ratio in materials and why is it important?

The c/a ratio, also known as the c-axis to a-axis ratio, is the ratio between the length of the crystal's c-axis and its a-axis. It is an important measurement in materials science because it affects the crystal structure, properties, and behavior of a material.

2. How is the c/a ratio determined?

The c/a ratio can be determined through various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy. These methods analyze the crystal's atomic arrangement and calculate the ratio between the c-axis and a-axis lengths.

3. How does the c/a ratio affect mechanical properties of a material?

The c/a ratio can influence the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, ductility, and hardness. A lower c/a ratio can result in a more compact crystal structure and stronger interatomic bonds, leading to higher mechanical strength.

4. Can the c/a ratio be changed or controlled?

Yes, the c/a ratio of a material can be modified through various methods such as heat treatment, alloying, and mechanical deformation. These processes can alter the atomic arrangement and change the c/a ratio, resulting in different material properties.

5. What are some examples of materials with different c/a ratios?

The c/a ratio can vary greatly among different materials. For example, metals such as copper have a very low c/a ratio of 0.86, while ceramics like alumina have a higher ratio of 1.0. Other examples include minerals like quartz with a c/a ratio of 1.26 and carbon nanotubes with a ratio of 2.0.