Confused in acceleration and velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of acceleration and velocity, with a focus on understanding the relationship between them. The participants also touch on the topic of calculus and its relevance to these concepts. A book is recommended as a better resource for learning the basics. The formula for force is mentioned, with a brief explanation of the variables involved. The importance of units in scientific calculations is emphasized.
talibji786
I am extremely confused in Acceleration and velocity please explain in detail with example

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more specified what you don't understand or you don't understand anything of this at all ?

now i have understood something but still need u

if
v0 = 10
v1 = 2

t0 = 1
t1 = 1

so
a = 8

am i right?

what level are you in school? Do you understand calculus?

dear phinds
I am a student of arts but for some years science has been taken place in my heart thts why i want to study it as much as possible

u can better explain me what is calculus

talibji786 said:
Irrelevant. If you don't even know what it IS then you certainly won't understand explanations that use it.

Suffice it to say, velocity is the rate of change of position and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

I don't follow what you did in post #3, but to the extent I do understand it, it does not make sense. If I'm reading it properly, you have two different velocities at the same time, which is not possible, and you have incorrectly taken that acceleration is just the difference in the two velocities.

no in this post there are not two different velocities i meant to say

v0 = starting velocity means the velocity of car at start

v1 = ending velocity means the velocity of car in the end

rate of velocity

talibji786 said:
dear phinds
I am a student of arts but for some years science has been taken place in my heart thts why i want to study it as much as possible

I think for you it would be best to use this book "Fundamentals of physics, 8th edition"' from Jearl Walker. First study with understanding and after that solve tasks.

I think i hav understood acceleration and velocity but i have one question in f = m.a what is the relation between m and a actually i want little bit theoretical explanation

talibji786 said:
no in this post there are not two different velocities i meant to say

v0 = starting velocity means the velocity of car at start

v1 = ending velocity means the velocity of car in the end
BUT ... you have t0=1 and t1=1. That means your v0 and your v1 are both at the same time, "1".

talibji786 said:
I think i hav understood acceleration and velocity but i have one question in f = m.a what is the relation between m and a actually i want little bit theoretical explanation
You need to do a systematic study of basic physics. This kind of hit-and-miss question-and-answer on an internet forum is not a good way to learn the basics.

phinds said:
BUT ... you have t0=1 and t1=1. That means your v0 and your v1 are both at the same time, "1".
you know better than me but i meant to say

a = v0 - v1/t0 - t1

acceleration = rate of velocity / difference of time

talibji786 said:
you know better than me but i meant to say

a = v0 - v1/t0 - t1

acceleration = rate of velocity / difference of time
since you have t0 = t1 = 1, this would result in division by zero. You really aren't getting anywhere with this. Get a book.

phinds said:
since you have t0 = t1 = 1, this would result in division by zero. You really aren't getting anywhere with this. Get a book.
oh i am getting it it means that t will be zero and a = 8 if u check my tht post am i right now

talibji786 said:
oh i am getting it it means that t will be zero and a = 8 if u check my tht post am i right now
No, you are not getting it. Get a book. We could walk you through this, but I say again, this kind of internet forum Q&A is not a good way to learn the basics. Get a book.

talibji786 said:
now i have understood something but still need u

if
v0 = 10
v1 = 2

t0 = 1
t1 = 1

so
a = 8

am i right?
Perhaps we could see you complete this example, so that at least you are given a start.

First, you should observe that in science everything has units, and specifying units is just as important as providing its numeric value. You didn't indicate units.

As phinds pointed out, you have t1 and t0 both set to 1. If this is a mistake, please provide the correction.

Also, the equation you use to calculate the value of 'a' is wrong unless you give it some brackets (aka parentheses), so can you rewrite it correctly with some brackets?

Last edited:
yes you all seniors have succeeded to make me understand the problem which i was doing wid tym let suppose

t0 = 1min
t1 = 10min

v0 = 10 to east
v1 = 100

1 - 10 / 10 - 100 = -9/-90

a = 10
am i right but i want the proper written form

talibji786 said:
yes you all seniors have succeeded to make me understand the problem which i was doing wid tym let suppose

t0 = 1min
t1 = 10min

v0 = 10 to east
v1 = 100

1 - 10 / 10 - 100 = -9/-90

a = 10
am i right but i want the proper written form
That's an improvement, BUT ...
you haven't taken on board what I pointed out about the need for parentheses when calculating 'a'
AND you have still written some numbers without providing the units. All quantities here must have units.

'a' also will have units

talibji786 said:
HELLO,
i don't want to encourage you by this reply.what the others are saying is true-get a book.also first get a good hold on Newtons laws if u really have interest in this
in the formula f=m.a
f-force
m-mass of an object
a-acceleration of the object due to the applied force
Mass is the fundamental property of matter.better said-every substance in surroundings has it.When a force is applied on any object it develops a tendency to move technically defined as acceleration.basically
acceleration experienced is directly proportional to the force applied and mass is just a proportionality constant.

NascentOxygen said:
That's an improvement, BUT ...
you haven't taken on board what I pointed out about the need for parentheses when calculating 'a'
AND you have still written some numbers without providing the units. All quantities here must have units.

'a' also will have units
you are kindly requestedto write my example wid units

what does unit of "a" means i.e. m/s2

talibji786 said:
velocity has units-m/s i.e. the distance traveled per unit time (meter/second)
acceleration is rate of change of velocity i.e. change in velocity per unit time -velocity/time-m/s2

Likes talibji786
talibji786 said:
Enough already! You're trying to build a skyscraper without first laying the foundations.

An internet forum can help you through specific questions that you have as part of your systematic study of physics, but we can't organize a complete curriculum from scratch. Get a decent textbook and work through it systematically, trying to do some of the exercises as you go.

I'm closing this thread, as we're starting to repeat the "get a book" advice.

Last edited:
Likes Motivanka and AURUM

Related to Confused in acceleration and velocity

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. In simpler terms, acceleration is how quickly an object's speed is changing, while velocity is how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. Both are typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration and meters per second (m/s) for velocity.

3. Can an object have a high acceleration but low velocity?

Yes, an object can have a high acceleration but low velocity. This is because acceleration measures the change in velocity, not the actual velocity itself. So, even if an object is accelerating quickly, it may not be moving very fast overall.

4. What is negative acceleration and how does it differ from positive acceleration?

Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object's velocity decreases over time. This can happen when an object is slowing down, changing direction, or coming to a stop. Positive acceleration, on the other hand, occurs when an object's velocity increases over time. This can happen when an object is speeding up or changing direction to move faster.

5. How is acceleration and velocity related to each other in terms of motion?

Acceleration and velocity are both measures of an object's motion, but they are related in different ways. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, so it directly affects an object's motion. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of velocity, so it indirectly affects an object's motion. In other words, changes in acceleration can cause changes in velocity, which in turn can cause changes in an object's motion.