Confused about what my exam board wants

In summary, the mark schemes state that the energy released in nuclear reactions is equal to the change of binding energy per nucleon, while the textbook states that it is equal to the change of total binding energy. It is correct to say that the energy released is equal to the change of total binding energy, assuming no neutron decay, but it is also correct to say that it is equal to the change of binding energy per nucleon. The two concepts are related and can be used interchangeably.
BomboshMan
I'm doing AQA Physics A unit 5 next Monday, and I've been doing some past papers but I'm not sure about how to answer questions on the energy released in nuclear reactions. The mark schemes say that the energy released is equal to the change of binding energy per nucleon but I thought that the energy released is equal to the change of total binding energy, and it is this second one which is written in my textbook. Which one is right, and if it is the per nucleon one which is right, why?

Thankaa :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The total energy released/required in nuclear reactions is the change of the total binding energy (assuming that the number of particles stays the same, e.g. no neutron decay involved).
The energy released per nucleon is the total energy divided by the number of nucleons and therefore related to the binding energy per nucleon.

Related to Confused about what my exam board wants

1. What exactly does my exam board want from me?

Your exam board wants you to demonstrate your understanding and knowledge of the subject material, as well as your ability to apply this knowledge to answer exam questions effectively. They may also have specific criteria or learning objectives that they want you to address in your answers.

2. How can I figure out what my exam board is looking for?

Start by carefully reading through your exam board's guidelines or syllabus. Pay attention to any specific instructions or learning objectives that they have provided. Additionally, look at past exam papers and mark schemes to get an idea of the types of questions and answers that are expected.

3. Can I get any help or advice from my exam board?

Yes, you can reach out to your exam board for clarification or guidance if you are confused about what they want. You can also speak to your teacher or subject tutor for further assistance.

4. What are the consequences of not understanding what my exam board wants?

If you do not understand what your exam board wants, it can significantly impact your exam performance and, ultimately, your final grade. It is essential to seek clarification and ensure that you are meeting the requirements set by your exam board.

5. How can I make sure I am meeting my exam board's expectations?

To ensure you are meeting your exam board's expectations, carefully read and understand their guidelines, study and revise the material thoroughly, and practice answering past exam questions. Seek feedback from your teacher or tutor, and use it to improve your understanding and approach to answering exam questions.