Confused about what degrees to get, what career options to consider etc

In summary: However, I would not recommend doing this- you have to really love EE and Physics to make the switch, and there are other great departments at UC Berkeley and other universities. My advice would be to major in EECS (or Computer Science if you want to stay in the tech field).
kaitamasaki
Hi all, I am currently in the last year of high school, and currently I am considering what faculty to enter in University.. most likely Engineering or Computer Science, because the admission average for Science is way too high for me. I am mostly interested in physics, math, and computers.

I am really confused because there's such a large range of knowledge and things to know out there, but so little time to study it all. I am afraid of choosing the wrong courses or majoring in the wrong thing that will result in a downfall in my future career. Such as I see there's so many branches in physics, mathematics, etc. that i have no idea what I should pick in the future.

I will outline what kind of things I prefer: no hands-on work or labs, more "number crunching" and problem solving. I also do not intend to become a teacher or anything. I would really like to go deeper into the theoretical and abstract side of things (like quantum physics?), while being able to apply more practical knowledge into a job like engineering.

Perhaps I'm too ignorant, but whenever I see the word engineering, I instantly think of construction. I also heard that electrical engineering is dangerous because of exposure to electricity and machinery. Can someone please explain what you really do in studying engineering and as an engineer.

What types of engineering are there, and if I would like to take part in jobs in industries like aerospace, robotics, or anything really "high-tech" then what should I study in University?

My apologies if I wasn't able to express myself clearly :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
How about Computer Science/engineering?

Electrical Engineering is not necessarily dangerous, certainly no more so than any other technical job. Be smart in whatever you do, and you should be fine as far as safety.

My undergrad university (Univ. of California) had basically the same "lower division" program for all engineers and physicists. The first two years were mostly the same classes, and the last two years were where you specialized. I changed my choice of major (from EE/ME double major to EECS) at the two year boundary, based on what classes and other projects I enjoyed the most in those first two years. If you can attend a univeristy with this kind of flexibility, you have a much better chance of chosing a degree and career direction that will be the most enjoyable and rewarding, IMO.

EE is a good degree for interdisciplinary stuff- they have to take the math (vector calc, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, ODE/PDE's, complex analysis), the physics (mostly the E&M, and possibly some quantum and optics if you so choose), and some of the computer science(programming, computer architecture, and possibly data structures and algorithms)

So it is somewhat (relatively) easier to go from EE to other fields.

Related to Confused about what degrees to get, what career options to consider etc

1. What factors should I consider when deciding on a degree and career path?

When choosing a degree and career path, it's important to consider your interests, skills, and values. Think about what subjects you enjoy and excel in, as well as what type of work environment and job responsibilities align with your personal values. You should also research the job market and demand for certain degrees and careers to make an informed decision.

2. Should I choose a degree based on potential salary?

While salary can be a factor in your decision, it should not be the only factor. It's important to choose a degree and career that you are passionate about and will bring you fulfillment. Additionally, many factors such as job location, experience, and industry can affect salary, so it's not a guarantee.

3. Is it better to pursue a specialized or broad degree?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. If you have a specific career in mind, a specialized degree may be the best option as it will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge. However, a broad degree can also open up a variety of career options and allow for more flexibility in your job search.

4. How do I know if a certain degree will lead to a successful career?

It's important to do your research and explore the job market for your desired degree. Look for job postings and speak with professionals in the field to gain insight into the career prospects and potential for growth. You can also consider factors such as job satisfaction and work-life balance when determining the success of a career.

5. Can I change my degree and career path later on?

Yes, it is possible to change your degree and career path later on. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives. However, it's important to consider the time and financial commitment of changing paths and to make sure that it aligns with your long-term goals and interests.